Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To Wireless AP w/ DNS Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

First off, let me state that I do not have an internet connection of my own (struggling student with more important bills right now). I am, however, lucky enough to live next door to a High School which broadcasts an open wireless signal. Well, for the past few months I have been able to access the network with no problems. I have my laptop (which is important because I go to an online college) and my PS3 that connect to that open network. The other day I tried to open Firefox only to be greeted by a page saying; "A network error has occurred and the page could not be loaded". So, I turn on the PS3 and try to log on to my PSN account and it fails. I went to the wireless connections test and started. The IP address succeeds, but the internet connection fails. It gives a slightly more accurate description of the problem; "Error connecting to server. This is a DNS error (801??????). I have no idea why I can't access this network now, when I had absolutely no problem a week or even a month ago. I'm not trying to "steal" internet. Accessing any network that the administrator has failed to secure is 100% legal. I'm actually not sure whether the signal I'm picking up is the High School or my next door neighbor to tell the truth. Either way, it is an open, unsecured network. My neighbor wouldn't mind if I borrowed his internet (but, I don't think he'd really care for me asking for "DNS numbers" or asking him to occasionally reset his modem). If I can figure out the PS3 I'm positive I can get the laptop back on (which I really need SOON). I've tried DNS numbers I found on some sites but none of them work. I've tried: 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, 208.6?.222.222, 208.6?.220.220 and all that but no luck. If anyone has any advice or possibly a solution for the DNS #s problem I would greatly appreciate your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Maybe they finally realized you were there and blocked you out.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

So how do I go about "unblocking" myself? How can they block me?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

You don't...that would be hacking.....and illegal......get your own connection.
Mark Twain

#5 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

I would never hack anything belonging to someone else (without doing it at their request). Nothing illegal bout it. Any network which an administrator chooses to leave unencrypted is considered a shared "open" network. I never asked how to hack anything, I'm not here to discuss ethics with you. BTW, it is my neighbor's internet (not the High School). I asked him about it yesterday, and he said he had no problem with me using his signal, just not before 9 p.m. I agreed and even offered to pay for half the bill. He refused to take any payment. He also informed me that he had never attempted to "block" me, but I'm not about to ask this man to come into his house, logon to his PC, and then look up the DNS numbers! I also don't think he's capable of finding the numbers for me. So, 100% legal, just looking for DNS #s that'll work.

#6 sofakinggreat

sofakinggreat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

try using the router's gateway address as DNS. if you are on a private network ex..192.168.1.12 as your IP use the 192.168.1.1 as DNS.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

can you do an ipconfig /all from the command line and post the results.

Edited by Baltboy, 03 June 2010 - 06:39 PM.

Mark Twain

#8 willjackson

willjackson

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

hi there,

You may try this, verify your default gateway ip address and set as your static primary DNS address and 4.2.2.2 as your secondary DNS address

#9 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

@ WillJackson: Thank you very much. That's exactly what I needed. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users