Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 7 and Chrome don't work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 deathx88

deathx88

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

this just happened to me today, i opened internet explorer 7 and it wouldn't load any pages. although firefox works fine.

a similar thing like this happened on my friends computer but all he did was reset/repair it in the option menu and it started working again.

i tried to the same 'tools > internet options > advanced > reset. but it didn't work for me.
i also tried to disable all the add ons and whatnot.

updating it to IE 8 doesn't seem to work either, when i try to update it it gives me an error and tells me the update failed with a code 80072EFD.

i installed google chrome just a few minutes ago and right when it installed no pages in that seemed to load up either.
so for right now the only thing that works for me is firefox.

i'm not sure if this is maleware related or not. yesterday i got attacked and had one of those virus programs automatically install on my computer. but before anything could happen i ran RKILL right away to terminate it and then scanned my computer with malewarebytes to remove everything. today i ran malewareybytes and spybot again but it didn't come up with anything. so as far as i know i have no viruses.

so i'm not sure what the problem is. i tried to look this up on the internet but couldn't find anything to help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xezat

Xezat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

I have almost this exact problem as well, was just about to post looking for help as well on this. Anyone have some advice on how to fix this?

#3 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

i didn't some more poking around with this. i notice that not even my vista sidebar tools can connect to the internet, i also noticed i can't connect to steam or utorrent. something is obviously wrong but i don't get it since i can still use firefox.

i did a system restore, and that didn't work. when it restarted an error popped up and it said that it didn't successfully complete.
so now i now there's something wrong with this.

could this possibly be a registry problem caused by the maleware that i was infected with yesterday? maybe it wasn't completely removed.

please help

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

For both of you:

Please post a Posted Image in the Am I infected? What do I do? sub-forum with a description of your problem, the steps taken so far, and a link back to this topic (they will want to know why you suspect malware).

Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it, as that will only further delay a response (MRT members are looking for topics with 0 replies...if you reply to your own first, it will appear that you are already receiving help and thus delay receiving actual help).

If you still have problems after being declared clean, they'll send you back here.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

ok thanks, i posted a new topic.
i've posted in that forum before so i know how long it usually takes.
i'm hoping it won't take more than a day to get a reply.

but judging on my problem do you think i most likely have malware?
or maybe there's some simple internet problem that might fix all of the.
any suggestions? or should i just wait and see from the other topic if i'm infected or not before i start tweaking stuff?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

First, we'll determine whether or not you are infected in your topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/320033/nothing-internet-related-works-except-for-firefox/

If you are, we'll get your computer cleaned up before going further.

If you aren't, we'll continue in your topic here. So, patience for now while a malware person gets to your topic. No tweaking until further notice. :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 30 May 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#7 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

i think i fixed it!

i was looking online a bit more to see if i could find a solution.

in internet explorer i went to : Tools -> Internet Options
hit the Connections tab, then hit the LAN settings button and unchecked
"Use a proxy server for your LAN", then ok.

i refreshed and both chrome & IE work along with all my programs.
it's weird why that specific option in IE would effect everything.

but that still doesn't fix the problem that i had with the system restore. it did fail one time and i haven't tried it again, i'm not sure if i should worry about it or not.
i did a 'system file check' and it said there were corrupted files. it told me everything was posted in a CBS log, but the thing was 10 megs and was impossible for me to read. so i'm not really sure.

since i fixed my problem, what should be done about the post i made in the malware thread? should a mod delete it? or should i just make a post in there saying that i fixed it?

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Well, unchecking the proxy just fixed one of the symptoms of infection...the malware is likely still active. You seem to think you've fixed your problem...but if it were me, I would want to be sure that my computer was clean.

If you want to continue to check for malware, let me know, and I will get an MRT person to help you (since you've already self-replied in your AII topic, the topic won't be picked up on it's own).

Let me know what you want to do. :thumbsup:

#9 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

thinking about it more, you're probably right.

i might have been too quick to jump to conclusions. and i probably shouldn't have replied to that other thread.
it's probably best to run some tests just in case, since there most likely is malware on my computer.

i would appreciate it if you could contact someone for me to help out with this in the other topic.

thanks

EDIT: i want to edit my last post in the other topic but i can't ??
i want to update it with some more information about the CBS logs, but i don't want to bump the thread up any further.

is there some type of time limit for editing on this site?

Edited by deathx88, 05 June 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

I requested help for you. You should get a staff member helping in your topic soon. Just sit tight. :thumbsup:

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

deathx88 please go ahead and post the extra information you wanted to include here in the topic you have in AII http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/320033/nothing-internet-related-works-except-for-firefox/

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#12 nas7734

nas7734

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:04 PM

I did an SFC SCANNOW in the Comand Prompt window. It couldn't fix the error, but the error log showed that DNSAPI.DLL, which is Windows/System32, was corrupt. I grabbed a copy off of a friend's computer, renamed mine DNSAPI.XXX, then dropped mine into place. Since then, IE and Chrome have worked. I hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users