Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 invisible barrier untill CTRL+ALT+Delete

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sio775

sio775

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it started yesterday evening, after i plugged out my Nostromo N52 out of the usb socket (gaming speedpad) causing the monitor to go black without a response. I then restarted the computer. And after that there seems to be an invisible barrier occuring randomly on both my monitors causing me not to be able to click or get a response from any open window or desktop. I also play a game in windowed mode "darkfall online", so when i try to bring my house out on my second monitor, i can't click on anything, even items i hover over light up anymore and when i try go back to my initial monitor to click and play the game again it wont allow it. It is as if there is an invisible barrier on my screen disallowing me to click on anything or even get a response unless control+alt+delete is pressed. The only way to solve this issue temperarily is to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click task manager or even cancel, and you gain control for a short period of time. This doesn't happen very often when im not playing games. Infact it hasn't happened yet as im browsing the web and my harddrive content.

I also foramated from the frustration. And during my format after bios booted, the installation of windows wouldn't allow me to click on the form to select language etc.. lol. So i somehow alt tabbed and kept clicking till it worked (my mouse is very new g9 logitech- 2 months old). After the format i knew i wasn't dealing with software issue so windows was not corrupt. Because i still have the issue. The only two other possible things i see is damage to the graphic card or motherboard / usb socket (highly unlikely). The reason i dont think it's mouse is because if it were mouse not being able to click then it would have nothing to do with nothing indicating a response from hovering over them example icon's on the taskbar at the buttom of the desktop, or closing "X" minimzing "_" and maximizing "[ ]" buttons which light up on top of applications. Needless to say they can't be clicked on either in this state untill ctrl+alt+del is performed once again.

IF anyone has any ideas on what is damaged and needs replacing, or a solution of some kind (i have low hopes) please inform me.
-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sio775

sio775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

i am using a geforce 260gtx graphic card. Although the problem persisted through the format, and after. After reinstalling the nvidia drivers, and repositioning my two monitors from left to right and vise versa, the problem seems to have stopped. If it appears again i will repost. But untill then i think this may be a solution to others having the problem. I think the graphic card's have an onboard memory where it remembers both monitors and activates them even after the format the problem may have been persistant for that reason. It could be a graphic issue that is currently solved for me after doing the steps above.
-Reinstall nvidia or your graphic drivers.
-Reposition your monitors applying both times.
-And finaly a reboot.
note that this procedure was done after a format and not the uninstallation and reinstallation of graphic drivers.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

:huh: to BC, sio775.

Thanks for letting us know your problem is (more or less) solved and how you did it. I hope all goes well for you.

Happy computing. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 sio775

sio775
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

It appears that the issues came back on two seperate occasions.
#1, while installing alcohol 120% when it asked for a reboot, i pressed cancel to reboot later on my own. Right after that the invisible barrier came again.
#2, It was random as i was switching between windows, darkfall, and internet explorer.

Ther frequency of it happening has reduced greatly since the fix attempt. I'm pretty sure this is a hardware deal. And i'll need help figuring out which of my hardware is damage. It's between the graphics and motherboard.

Anyhow the step above does not work unfortunately :huh:

ty for the post btw keyboardninja :huh:

Edited by sio775, 29 May 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

You're welcome. :huh:

I hope you can figure it out, cause I have no clue. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 30 May 2010 - 08:49 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users