Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the fastest remote desktop software for graphics work?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hey guys

I use Logmein, and PC Anywhere remote software for remoting my PCs between 2 homes. But I find them too slow when remoting software that has moderate graphics load.

I want to establish a connection between my 2 sites (London and Devon) that will give me the fastest remote access, and I dont care about what it cost as long as its not ridiculous!

If it helps to buy 2 routers with built in VPN capabilities I will buy them to create a VPN tunnel, if this will improve remote access speeds.

I dont mind paying for the remote software either.

So what would be the best solution - at reasonable cost?

After A little research, I have read that RDP is the quickest for when remoting graphics intensive programs. But these articles were dated a few years, is RDP still the quickest? One of my PC is Windows 7 Home, shall I upgrade it to Professional if I want it to be a RDP host? Or is their seperate RDP software available that I can install instead of forking out 100 for Windows 7 Professional upgrade? If using RDP on Windows 7 Prof is the fastest then I will buy the upgrade.

And if creating the VPN tunnel will improve speeds further, then I pose that as another question in the Network threads :thumbsup:

Cheers
"I saw 3 Dusters like this one, at the station. Inside the dusters were 3 men. Inside the men were 3 bullets"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

It seems, the graphics card of the host plays a part in speed of graphics refresh during remote sessions. Something to do with rasterizing. The pc host had on board graphics and scores just 3.4 in the Windows Experience index performance guage in Windows 7. So perhaps I need to also buy a dedicated graphics card.
"I saw 3 Dusters like this one, at the station. Inside the dusters were 3 men. Inside the men were 3 bullets"

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Have you considered the free for home use, Teamviewer program. I use it for remote connection to a computer 30 miles away.

I'm not sure about the graphics question, but the program does have a VPN module.

Check out the site, before you start spending. It may not be powerful enough for you, but it is also
a commercial program, so I imagine it would have to meet acceptable standards for business.

'TeamViewer - the All-In-One Solution for
Remote Access and Support over the Internet':

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I have used PC Anywhere, in the past - what a pain.

Edited by petewills , 31 May 2010 - 07:20 AM.

#4 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

Have you considered the free for home use, Teamviewer program. I use it for remote connection to a computer 30 miles away.

I'm not sure about the graphics question, but the program does have a VPN module.

Check out the site, before you start spending. It may not be powerful enough for you, but it is also
a commercial program, so I imagine it would have to meet acceptable standards for business.

'TeamViewer - the All-In-One Solution for
Remote Access and Support over the Internet':

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I have used PC Anywhere, in the past - what a pain.

Hey thanks for your suggestion, petewills! I had since tried different solutions and it turns out your suggestion was the best!!

I first of all bought the Windows 7 ultimate and configured the RDP. Yes I know, I didnt need to buy the upgrade but at least having Ultimate wont have been a complete waste of money. I must say configuration of RDP/RDC was a breeze at both ends but of course I had to forward a port on the router at the host PC end. I then tested remoting an internet flash content game and it was basically unplayable but general remoting was very smooth and fit for most purposes. However, I need quicker graphics refreshing and this dissapointed. I wonder why many articles recommend RDP over other remote software for graphics refresh speed?

I then downloaded teamviewer, and boy what a breeze to set up. Dont even have to forward any ports. And best of all the remoting was fast and the so was the graphics refresh...considerably so. The flash content game was someething like 20 times quicker and was playable even by remote. This was the solution I needed.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Good stuff, Mr Glass.

My life became so much simpler, when I was able to connect to my father's computer
and do everything on it for him; trying to explain over the phone could be a nightmare.

I haven't used the VPN feature, but with a reasonable bt broadband connection each end,
I've found the whole process speedy, with immediate connection through 'defined' passwords.

The security is supposed to be pretty good too, even though one is using the Teamviewer servers,
if not connecting through VPN.

And since they added the video feature, the package seems complete (and painless).

I seem to recall that other 'remote' packages never allowed so much control. Amazing!

[I have no experience of RDP, as both our computers have XP Home].

Hope it continues to serve you well.

#6 LikesIT

LikesIT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

To speed up viewing graphics over RDP, I suggest you look at Ericom Blaze, a software product that accelerates AND compresses standard Microsoft RDP, so it speeds RDP while conserving bandwidth. Blaze accelerates RDP performance by as much as 10-25 times, and helps deliver higher frame rates and reduce screen freezes and choppiness.

You can read more about Blaze and download a free evaluation at:
http://www.ericom.com/ericom_blaze.asp?URL_ID=708

Hope this helps.

Adam

#7 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

I have a friend that swears by Remote Control PC 4.9. Sounds like you found a good solution, though. Good luck.
My Blog: New PC Tips

#8 caixadoricardo

caixadoricardo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

@TheyCallMeMrGlass

have you ever tryed logmein? you can select the color depth so you can h have faster refresh rates.

Edited by caixadoricardo, 26 February 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#9 caixadoricardo

caixadoricardo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

ive tryed to compare teamviewer vs logmein:

acessing a lan workstation

logmein works faster panning in 3dmax or photoshop
teamviewer is better in quality jpeg conpression on logmein is higher.

acessing home computer trough adsl

teamviewer works better in terms of displaying video, better refresh rate and better quality then logmein

will try later to acess from home to work and actually try photoshop and 3dmax

#10 mikeroger

mikeroger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

I would suggest deploying on premise RHUB remote support appliances for remotely accessing computers. It is very easy to use and best part is it is only one time cost as compared to hosted services. 

#11 AndiBur

AndiBur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

I would suggest you to read this article http://anydesk.com/benchmark/anydesk-benchmark.pdf
It's a comparison between popular remote desktops.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

Still on VNC over here... I've not found one faster for free, on LAN.

#13 MikeJP

MikeJP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

According to my experience, the one you should try for that is http://www.ammyy.com/en/index.html

#14 BarryK11

BarryK11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

I use http://www.radmin.com/.  This remote control software works very well. I like the ability to share screens, transfer files remotely without interrupting the user, and it's speed. It also integrates security with AD. The only downside is it will not operate through firewalls like TeamViewer or LogMeIn. It requires a VPN connection.

#15 Tina1990

Tina1990

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

I recommend RemoteToPC - https://remotetopc.com/. It is one of the greatest apps when it comes to remote PC access. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users