Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video output; newly built computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hey guys,

After spending quite a bit of time on Newegg, I put together some parts for a computer that I'm building for a friend. The parts finally came in, I spent about an hour building the machine and decided to give it a try.

When I cut the machine on, all the lights work, the fans work but no video output to the monitor. My immediate thought was that the video card that I installed was causing the issue, so eventually after try with no luck I unplugged the video card (Nvidia GeForce 9800 512mb PCI Express x16 2.0).

After removing the card from the machine completely, I plugged the monitor to the on-board video (attempting both DVI and VGA ports); still no luck.

I then went through to make sure everything on my list was compatible and as far as I can tell, they all are. The mobo, cpu, and ram are listed below; the only other parts are sata hdd and dvd rw.

Here's what I got:

Motherboard:
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE AM3 AMD 780L Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL

PSU:
500W

From what I've told you and the specs above, can anyone come up with anything? I'm almost pointing towards a defect in hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

I have read the description of your problem along with your specs.

I see that you have tried both the expansion PCI-E slot and the integrated video processor and both have failed to display any video output.

What I suggest first is trying a different monitor on this computer to see if perhaps the monitor being used is at fault.

Try connecting the monitor to another computer.

If this monitor fails on another system, then you have found the problem.

If the monitor works on another system, try connecting another monitor to the computer that fails to display any video.

If this fails to work, then there is something not right with the power supply going to the motherboard. Check to see if there is a connector on the motherboard that is supposed to be powered by a separate wire harness coming from the PSU, it could be a 4 pin connector with yellow, red, black, black.

I have a link I want you to go to that addresses your issue, try giving this troubleshooting site a try. http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.html

Please keep us informed as to if you have found a solution, by trying what I suggested above or from what the web site above has to offer.

Kind regards. :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 May 2010 - 05:14 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Thanks MrBruce but the monitor is not the issue. Also, I'm pretty sure it's not a power issue; seeing as everything powered up and ran just fine (fans, lights, hdd, and even the GPU before I removed it)

#4 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if the RAM is in fact compatible with the motherboard. It's 1066mhz yet on the Asus site, 4gb memory isn't listed for G.Skill.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if the RAM is in fact compatible with the motherboard. It's 1066mhz yet on the Asus site, 4gb memory isn't listed for G.Skill.

How many sticks of RAM do you have installed?

Is there any video out-put displayed at all? Even the POST screen.

Are there any system beep codes sounded from the motherboard speaker?

While your answering those questions, I will be visiting the Asus web site, where I will be downloading a copy of the M4A78LT-M LE owners manual and checking the technical information on this motherboard. :thumbsup:

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

One other question, you failed to specify what Operating System you have or plan to install on this machine and if it is either going to be 32 Bit or 64 Bit version.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Just a few things from the manual.

We recommend that you use an ATX 12V Specification 2.0‑compliant power supply unit (PSU) with a minimum of 300W power rating. This PSU type has 24-pin and 4-pin power plugs.
If you intend to use a PSU with 20-pin and 4-pin power plugs, ensure that the 20-pin power plug can provide at least 15 A on +12 V and that the PSU has a minimum power rating of 300W. The system may become unstable or may not boot up if the power is inadequate.

DO NOT forget to connect the 4-pin ATX12V power plug. Otherwise, the system will not boot up!

We recommend that you use a PSU with higher power output when configuring a system with more power-consuming devices or when you intend to install additional devices. The system may become unstable or may not boot up if the power is inadequate.
If you are uncertain about the minimum power supply requirement for your system, refer to the Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator at http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalcula...SLanguage=en-us for details.

Again make sure this 4 pin plug from the PSU is plugged into the motherboard at the ATX12V connector.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

Mr.Bruce covered the steps you should take. Just to reinforce the computer should at least attempt to POST which it appears its not. Something is missing, or awry. Make sure the motherboard is not grounding out on the PC case and its properly aligned with all the stand offs and you didn't forget any screws. With only the CPU, memory and on board video you should get a POST screen.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

As for what you are claiming above, I tried to research the same information and even downloaded Asus's recommended memory types and vendors list and can not make a connection between the G.Skill module number F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL and your motherboard.

Asus recommends for this motherboard the following:

G.SKILL F3-10600CL8D-2GBHK 1024MB SS

G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 6144MB(Kit of 3) DS 9-9-9-24 1.5V~1.6V

However if you was to remove that module and try to boot up the system with out it, the motherboard would still try to boot and throw a system error beep of some sort through the motherboard speaker or on screen.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 May 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#10 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

So I received my 2 x 2GB Kingston RAM in the mail on yesterday and got to place the RAM in the machine last night. It turns out that the entire problem was the G.Skill 4GB RAM not being compatible with my motherboard (either that or the stick I had was defective).

Although it says on the manual that 4GB sticks of 1066mhz should work, the specific G.Skill 4GB that I was using was NOT on the capabilities list (although I don't really see why it shouldn't have worked regardless; since the overall specifications worked).

Anyway, the point is that the Kingston 2 x 2GB stick fixed my problem. I hope this might help someone else with a similar (or the same) problem.

The moral of the story is to always check the capabilities lists from manufacturers to make sure EVERYTHING that you intend to place in a build is compatible. In a way, I'm sort of glad this happened because it gave me and opportunity to see one of the most detrimental mistakes that I've been making over the years (assuming things will work based on specs and not compatibility).

Thanks goes out to all those of you who assisted me.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for posting your solution glad you got it working :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +