Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Virus laying dormant

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Klickinater

Klickinater

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

I was trying to get a video from my camcorder to my computer so I installed the program on the disc that came with the camcorder. The disc supposedly installs "VideoCam Suite 1.0". So I install it and it asks me restart my computer. So I restart it. I notice my computer takes an exceptionally long time to load up windows, and then my account (all the icons and the start bar take a couple minutes to appear which has never happened before). And once it does load, all the display settings are set to "windows classic" and the internet no longer works.

I tried troubleshooting for the internet but it seems like the help program has been disabled (it tells me to start the "help and settings" program but I have no idea where to find that). My ethernet cable is still attached to my computer so it should work. Under network connections, it shows none. So I installed the videocam suite but all the problems are still there, the slowness, the weird display settings and the internet not working.

A couple weeks ago I had a virus on my computer so I looked up how to get rid of it and I thought I had gotten all of it. The only thing that was kind of weird was when I googled something and clicked on a result, it often redirected me to some random page. I was thinking that maybe part of the virus is still around and somehow the installing the program made it worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klickinater

Klickinater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

UPDATE: So i was reading about this Panasonic software and apparently it is not compatible with updated Windows XP. I think that is what is causing the problems and that it may have deleted some important file. A lot of windows services are not running (system restore, help and troubleshooting etc) and when I try to start them up they get a "timed out error". I googled the error and it seems like that it means that an important file(s) was deleted.

So if an Admin could move this to the proper forum that'd be great. Also if someone knew if there is a way to fix this without reinstalling windows (will that delete all my files?), the help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users