Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A small but frustrating problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 6xSnake6x

6xSnake6x

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:50 AM

Good day everybody ! I would like to know why after I scan my computer with combofix some files and folders appear.. Actually I really mostly want to stop seeing them, because they weren't there before. Here are the screenshots scrshot 1 scrshot2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Unlike what many people think, Combofix is not a fix-all program that's just "run and done". It is a highly specialized tool that should only be used under the supervision of an expert. It's not an "everyday use", clean-all program.

If you suspect malware, please post a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs sub-forum, with a description of the issues you are having and the contents of the log file (copy and paste the contents of the log into your topic, don't attach it). Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it. You will also likely be scolded for running Combofix without supervision.

If you don't suspect malware and just ran Combofix for no good reason, please uninstall it by typing the following into the "Run" box and pressing Enter: combofix /uninstall

If you suspect malware which i don't think you do then please stop using combofix and your problem should go away,

Edited by computerxpds, 28 May 2010 - 06:10 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 6xSnake6x

6xSnake6x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

Well, I went ahead and moved those folders having a live ubuntu cd in case of anything, and my computer booted normally. After that I just went ahead and deleted them. Btw, these appeared AFTER I scanned with combofix. And on another computer I would get the same thing (it would create those empty folders, a log and 1 or 2 files), must be something normal.

Edit: and I do NOT think that combofix is malware, I just wanted to know if it's safe to delete those folders/files

Edited by 6xSnake6x, 28 May 2010 - 07:07 AM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Edit: and I do NOT think that combofix is malware, I just wanted to know if it's safe to delete those folders/files

I was not saying combofix is malware it is not at all malware I was saying that one should not use it unless they are highly educated on how to use it and how it works and unless instructed to by a malware removal expert here at BC, also since they are logs most likely created by combofix it is safe to remove them. :huh:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 6xSnake6x

6xSnake6x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

Thank you for your replies :huh: Consider the problem solved :D

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Please don't use Combofix as a scanner, that is NOT it's purpose!

A good anti-malware scanner is Malwarebytes' http://majorgeeks.com/download5756.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 6xSnake6x

6xSnake6x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

A good anti-malware scanner is Malwarebytes' http://majorgeeks.com/download5756.html

Yes I understand that, and I already have malwarebytes. I usually use combofix as last resort, that being a very rare case.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yes I understand that, and I already have malwarebytes. I usually use combofix as last resort, that being a very rare case.

Why? You don't have all the knowledge that this tool entails :huh: Are you fixing other peoples' computers?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users