Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to start with basic programming

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 it.saint

it.saint

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

actually this is my very first start,i have have got no basic knowlege of programming,therefore i would like to request a kind help in how should i start with programming which is the very first step i mean to say the language required where about can i find online tutorials or e-books for the basic start of programming,i need this all stuff, hope i can get helped!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Programming is instructing the computer to perform a set of tasks. You have to use a computer programming language to instruct the computer since it cannot understand native human languages like English. There are many programming languages. Now which programming language would you like to start with ?

Most people start with C, C++, Visual Basic.net, C#, Java, Python etc.

Take your pick :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages
(Not all the languages on this page are in use today. Many are pretty much dead.)

#3 it.saint

it.saint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

thanks but dude this is just a page from wikipedia showing how many computer languages are available my querry isnt this actually i need online tutorials,e-books and other materials which could help me to start with programming,so that i could study it.

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hello it.saint.

I would suggest starting with a higher level (simpler on the coder's part) language. Python is a good example of such a language.

Google for Python beginner tutorials and choice one that you like. We're here if you have any specific questions :thumbsup: .

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 it.saint

it.saint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

i wil ltry to google it and start but as u said mate that start with a higher level so wouldnt that be hard i mean for a beginner !

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

By a 'higher level language', they do not mean one that is for advanced users. Higher level languages make things easier to learn because they hide some of the drudgery associated with lower level languages. For example, here is a hello world program in a lower level language:
.text

.global _start
 _start:

mov $4, %eax /* write system call */
 mov $1, %ebx /* stdout */
 mov $msg, %ecx
 mov $msgend-msg, %edx
 int $0x80

mov $1, %eax /* _exit system call */
 mov $0, %ebx /* EXIT_SUCCESS */
 int $0x80

.data

msg: .ascii "Hello, world\n"
 msgend:

Now the same program in a higher level language:
print "hello world"

There are hundreds of thousands of tutorials on the web. There is no one tutorial that 'is the best', or any one language that is 'easiest to learn'.

#7 it.saint

it.saint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

groovicus bro thanks for explaining that, as for the tutorials i have gathered some related to python,as after googling it i got loads of links to python tutorials so got confused they are some of them even legit??

could u bro check these links for python tutorial in for of e-book

http://docs.python.org/release/2.5.2/tut/tut.html

http://docs.python.org/release/2.5.2/lib/lib.html

one for tutorial and other for library and is the library the second step after reading the tutorial.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

They are from python.org, so they are as legit as one can get. The library reference is to show you how various tasks are accomplished using Python. It is not something that you work your way through.

#9 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

i would prefer you buying a book....start with C.its a middle level language.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

i would prefer you buying a book....start with C.its a middle level language.

I thought computer languages are either high level or low level. :thumbsup:

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I thought computer languages are either high level or low level.

I agree, but I suppose one could argue that C would be a mid-level language compared to assembly. Still, I don't take much stock in recommendations for a particular language without reasons why it would be more appropriate.

#12 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

C helps develop a good concept and as soon as you learn C you can go for higher level languages with some ease.I learnt C and now i m learning C++.Program logic stays the same,only the structure varies.i feel this is the right way to go.

#13 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I would tend to agree that C,C++ are a fairly good launch point. They tend to relate well to most of the other languages that I have used. A good well written book can be hard to find though and expect it to cost a bit. Hit up the local campuses at the end of a semester you might be able to find a stellar deal. :thumbsup:
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

C helps develop a good concept

Languages do not teach concepts; languages are a means of implementing concepts. Program logic is more or less identical no matter the language one chooses to use. The syntax is all that varies. I would also argue that the best language to learn would be the one most applicable to whatever one's end goal is.

#15 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:25 AM

C helps develop a good concept

Languages do not teach concepts; languages are a means of implementing concepts. Program logic is more or less identical no matter the language one chooses to use. The syntax is all that varies. I would also argue that the best language to learn would be the one most applicable to whatever one's end goal is.

By concept i mean like a=a+b...what happens inside the system and such trifles.And i agree with the fact that a person should learn only a language that helps him/her in future endeavours.No disrespect meant Groovicus sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users