Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get rid of the constantly built .LNK files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mochacoffee

mochacoffee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Hi, I have installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats from Microsoft website, which is FileFormatConverters.exe because my Microsoft Office 2003 cannot open the .docx files.
After installing this, when I perform the Piriform CCleaner, I always get the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\Files being opened A.LNK
C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\Files being opened B.LNK
C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\Files being opened C.LNK

I have tried to delete the index.dat thing but it will just appear again.
I have unistalled the Compatibility Pack but it doesn't work.

How can I get rid of the index.dat, .LNK files, and the obnoxious Recent folder?

THank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mochacoffee

mochacoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:10 AM

How should I edit the registry?
I shouldn't have installed the Compatibility Pack!;(

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

The index.dat file is a system file. Think of it as a checkout record in a library. Without it, the library doesn't know which books are checked out and which are in house.

Recent is also a system file. The computer stores information regarding what files and folders you have recently opened, and MS Office does the same. It has nothing to do with the compatibility pack. It makes it easier to open them again when you go back to it.

As for the .LNK files, those are shortcut files to the actual files and programs on your computer. All the things in your start menu are .LNK files for example as is practically everything on the desktop.

See here: http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file_extension.php?lnk

If you don't like having these footprints in your computer, there are programs that will remove the footprints, but they will repopulate as you use the computer and programs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users