Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Error loading operating system"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dvdcsr

dvdcsr

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

I really need help here. I am not very computer savvy so I'm completely lost at this point. When I turn my computer (Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows Media XP) on it looks as though it's going to start but then the dreaded blank screen stating "ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM". I read a bit in the forum that I may need a recovery disc, which never came with my Dell computer. I called Dell and they will not send me a recovery disc because I'm out of warranty, big surprise. Is there any way I can download it from the internet or is there something else I can do. I unfortunately have no back up CD. My priority is to keep all my programs, internet bookmarks and documents. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Remember Iím not that computer savvy so Iíll need very detailed instructions on what to do. Thanks to all.

Edited by dvdcsr, 28 May 2010 - 12:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

Well, you could try...

Follow the directions at How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/.

Once that is done...follow the directions for How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk.

If any error messages appear onscreen...write those down and post in your next reply.

Do not exit after the chkdsk /r command completes.

Type the command fixboot and hit Enter.

When that completes...type exit and hit Enter.

Typically...the error loading operating system indicates a failing hard drive, from what I see.

Louis

#3 dvdcsr

dvdcsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Well turns out I need a new hard drive. Anyone have any ideas which one is the best for a VERY reasonable price?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

You might take a look in Disk Management...even better, open the case and have a visual...to see exactly how many hard drives are installed.

The specs that I see for a Dimension 8400 indicate that it may be set up in RAID0 mode (with two hard drives)...which may alter how you should proceed.

Louis

#5 dvdcsr

dvdcsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

Looks like I only have 1. Also I was told that if I used the recovery disc it would wipe out my hard drive, true?

Edited by dvdcsr, 28 May 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

For details on how to use recovery/restore disks provided by the manufacturer (i.e., Dell, in your case)...you have to look to Dell.

If by "recovery disk", you are referring to the XP Recovery Console CD I provided instructions for...I can only say that the XP Recovery Console is a basic tool which is part of the MS Genuine XP install CD. The Recovery Console contains tools which assist the user in attempting to overcome certain system problems.

Perhaps we could judge better if tell us what is your source for this info that use of "recovery disk" wipes the hard drive.

FWIW: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...02EE16785D39C5C

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users