Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oops! Removing programs, now auido is lost.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

Greetings,

So I was ridding my computer of codecs so I could start sorta fresh with a new set. I went to add and remove programs and started removing the installed codec packs. I must have removed something that shouldn't have because now I have no audio.

However

I do have a yellow exclamation mark under Device Manager. It says PCI Device. Under the hardware id it says it's 8086 (Intel) and a 27D8 (High Definition Audio). I tired to download the sound driver and installed it but that didn't work. I tried installing the chipset software (drivers) but that didn't work either.

I have tried to install Realtek High Definition Audio software (which was in there before) but that did nothing.

Restore is turned off :thumbsup:

I am using a Toshiba Satellite A100 Laptop with Windows XP Home.

Short of wiping the HD clean, I am willing to try anything.

Edited by Shandley, 27 May 2010 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

Have you tried system restore? Roll back your computer prior to the delete.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

Im afraid Restore is turned off :thumbsup:

#4 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

I have read that UAA could have something to do with it. I am using XP SP3 and am told it should be included but I do not see it listed in Device Manager and I do not know how to get it back.

Does anyone know anything about the UAA and if this could be my issue?

#5 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

SOLUTION

SOLUTION

SOLUTION

I downloaded SP3 for XP (even though I already had it installed) and re-installed it. After the reboot, it told me that it was the High Definition Audio Buss (something along those lines) and it asked me if I wanted to search for an existing driver. I said yes and it found it and installed it.

I know I have done this in the past and can never remember how to fix it. I would have saved hours if I could remember.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Sorry I missed that in your first post. Thanks for posting your solution :thumbsup: Glad you got it working.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users