Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to diagnose if my fan is working at 100%

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chrisshorb

chrisshorb

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 640m laptop running Windows XP Pro sp3 running on an Intel CPU (I just checked the Device Manager). Sometimes, the area where the fan is (and I assume the CPU) gets pretty hot. I wonder if it is overheating, and if I need to replace the fan. I had a desktop once that someone kit-bashed for me, and it had some sort of program for checking the CPU temperature. I wonder if there is something already onboard that I can check, or some sort of freeware or cheapware I can download to analyze and monitor this.

Thanks for any help.

best -

chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:06 AM

You can use Speedfan to monitor your temps. Laptops sometimes get prety warm on the bottom, the heat pipe and heat sink are located directly beneath the plastic and it transfers heat very well to your lap. If its uncomfortable or your laptop is running warm you can use a "chiller pad" such as these found at newegg.com

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users