Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet antivirus sites re-directed, desktop/icons forever to load...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gridiron

gridiron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hey guys Ė so I have a huge issue, not too sure what virus Iíve run into. Iíll start from the beginning.

Yesterday as I was closing down my computer I noticed a Java icon on my taskbar, and I wasnít running any java apps that I know of. I closed it down, and firefox froze on me. I finally decided to CTL+ALT+DEL firefox but I think the damage was done. I immediately ran a malwarebytes scan and it found 5 things, all Trojan/virus related (from what I remember they were avsoft/avsuite related because I remember thinking that they looked like Avast). I deleted them and rebooted. Upon reboot, my computer took forever from the login in screen to get to the desktop/icons. I read some info on running ďexplorer.exeĒ but it was already running. I shut it down and tried to run ďexplorer.exeĒ in the RUN option in the task manager. When it came up, the desktop and icons appeared, however they looked like an old OS. I have Windows XP, but it looked like windows 98 or something (gray task bar and task manager, hopefully that makes sense).

I have malwarebytes, avast, mcafee, so I ran scans with those and they didnít find anything. I could not connect to the internet, so I started up in safe mode and tried a scan then. Came up with nothing. Finally, I did a system restore to yesterday before I got infected and when I restarted it took forever to load again BUT it was back to the XP look (blue task bar/manager) thankfully. I was able to connect to firefox BUT when I go to antivirus sites I get redirected to bad sites according to WOT (I thought having WOT, and a bunch of spyware/antivirus software would save me from this, guess not).

Iíve run full scans on malwarebytes and avast, along with using my PC to download spybot to a USB stick to transfer over to my laptop and install. Spybot found some spyware but nothing major. I am still getting re-directed when trying to go to anti-virus sites (can access normal sites like ESPN/CNN, etc) and I donít want to restart in case 1. it reverts back to the 98 "old" view or 2. takes forever to load my desktop icons (just a blank view of the desktop photo). In addition I ran malwarebytes again (full scan), and it comes up clean (up to date version of the program of today also).

So, I previously had a virus (6-12 months ago) and got amazing help through these forums using combofix. I also took every measure possible not to get one again with WOT, and these spyware/malware/antivirus programs. I dunno how I got another one! But my dumbass did, damnit!! Anyways, I have downloaded combofix again and I am ready to use it if necessary. I THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users