Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive won't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dvdcsr

dvdcsr

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi all. I'm having trouble with my DVD drive. I'm running Windows ME on an older computer.
I put a disc in my drive and the computer doesn't read it.
I get the following: Please insert a disc into drive E:
Is this error telling me that I need to download drivers??
Please help. Thanks

Edited by dvdcsr, 28 May 2010 - 02:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Just try another Borrowed DVD in it first?

That sounds like a good move.

DVDs are Cheap? Also being cheap can be faulty?

After that look for Drivers.

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 28 May 2010 - 07:55 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

Usually a DVD or CD drive does not need any special drivers to function properly.

I usually see a lot of references to drivers when this type of hardware starts acting up, when that is rarely the case.

The disk you are trying to read may not be formatted to a medium your drive can read.

The optical disks root directory may be damaged or dirty. Try looking for scratches or cleaning the disk with a mild dish detergent and warm water, drying the disk with a soft none abrasive bath towel wiping out-wards from the disk center to the outer edge all around the disk to remove excess water and other containments from the disk.

Try using another disk in the drive to see if it is being read, if it is not, then read solutions below.

Your drives optical laser lens may have grime on it causing the laser to mis-read the disk causing the error. Purchasing a disk designed to clean the lens might do the trick, these can be found in most stores that sell music CDs. In extreme cases, you may have to open the drive to gain direct access to the laser and cleaning it with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. If you use this method, please be careful not to allow any of the cotton to get snagged in the mechanism and do not use much pressure as you could cause the lens to become jammed or come off its track.

Although I do not think your drives registry upper or lower filters are not the case here, I will include this information below just in case this is your problem.

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows XP and below click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

If these solutions do not fix your problem, try going to device manager and uninstalling your optical drive from device manager and rebotting and allowing windows to re-install the drive.

The likely-hood that a driver is missing is un-likely, if the above solutions still fail to fix your problem, then your drive may be defective, either the laser is too weak or the controller chip in the drive has failed.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 May 2010 - 11:05 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

If ME was the original OS on that pc then its highly unlikely you have a drive capable of reading dvds.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

I guess trying another DVD would not show that?

Drivers mean nothing if the DVD is not Recognised.

If it happens to two, then what Leurgy says is correct.

I have honestly had little to do with ME, that was another Mistake, like Vista, from M$soft.

But if several DVDs don't work, like some USBs on older Machines, just move on and upgrade your OS. There is a Limit to what you can do.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 30 May 2010 - 05:31 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

You can upgrade your OS until the cows come home but unless you get a dvd compatible drive it won't help. External dvd drives are available but make sure your pc can use it. A machine of that era would be usb 1.0 whereas the current standard is 2.0.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

I have seen this issue on Windows XP and Vista, and the issue one case was a bad cable. I replaced the cable, and the issue was resolved. In another instance i replaced the drive which solved the issue obviously.

These drives: Lite-On IDE Drives will work on your system since they use the IDE Interface, and are relatively cheap. I would go thr route of checking cables first since they are cheapest less then 10 bucks at your local best buy or computer shop. You need at least an 40 pin cable. however, 80pin will yield greater speeds when writing.

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:55 AM

These drives: Lite-On IDE Drives will work on your system since they use the IDE Interface, and are relatively cheap. I would go thr route of checking cables first since they are cheapest less then 10 bucks at your local best buy or computer shop. You need at least an 40 pin cable. however, 80pin will yield greater speeds when writing.

I agree completely.

I recently had a Hit from an unknown Virus/Malware that affected 9 Computers. Nothing could detect it, no matter what I tried. It took out every thing that I tried. BTW, it was under XP Home. Only things that kept me sane was that some Programs were registering increase in Programs being generated, up to 20 of the same ones, so I knew something was really there.
I thought at first it was in Ram, but that was impossible, according to Experts.

After months of pulling my hair out and reformatting and reinstalling, only to see the same pop up, I went another way and used a Lite On CDROM to do the Job, eliminating the DVD, and kept it out after, until total Back up from Windows. Little thing was hiding in the DVD. only place it could have been.

I had a viable Computer after that. after a Month of Testing, with a known Good Dvd Burner, the Owner got her Machine beck, as another one about to.

WindowsME and DVDs are suspect at the best of times?

If a Lite On won't work, just move on.

Btw, cryptodan, I am working on something to pass onto Members about what I just Posted. It was very unusual, to say the least.

Recent Killkits show we should be really alert.

Time for us to fight back? And to Challange M$soft by doing our own thing to ensure Safety for Users of the Net?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 06 June 2010 - 02:19 AM.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users