Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection issue with online games

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hoppingturkey

hoppingturkey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Well, we have a little issue here in my household. In the past week or so, we've been unable to maintain a steady connection to most MMO games such as World of Warcraft and Everquest. However, our web browsing is working just fine. We've talked with our ISP several times, and they've even sent their techies out here to try and help.

They replaced our modem, some of the cables, and told us that the connection was fine and that we should be having no issues. We tried WoW again, but the problem persists. When we first start up the game, our latency is low and in the green. After about 10 minutes, it declines rapidly going straight from green to red in less than 5 minutes.

We've checked our router settings, the modem has been replaced, and our connection has been tested thoroughly. The only thing that we can think of is this: We recently got a new computer, and think that it might somehow be messing up the connection. I'm not entirely sure how, though. The computer is running Win XP Home Edition 5.1, build 2600.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

Do you have other computers in your house? Are you running a home network? If so, are you running wireless or wired?

I would check also for other software running in the background. Some programs that upload or download files can take as much bandwidth as is available, until they use it all.

Specifically for WOW though, run scans (Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware). Check the updates for your flash player, as there was version hijacked with a keylogger. Also, do you use extra add ons? Some of those can really affect your game, depending on how fast the computer is.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Is your computer fully updated? What are you paying for, for example, I have verizon FiOS and I am paying 140 bucks a month for 35Megabit up and Down. So what plan do you have and who is your ISP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users