Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DHCP assigning public IP address

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 batdog

batdog

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

I've got a small home network with a Thomson ST585 router. There are five devices that connect wirelessly to the router and one (an Xbox 360) that's wired to the router. I've been trying to sort out an issue with the Xbox having "Strict" NAT.. I tried various things including port forwarding which included setting a static IP address for the main PC. I eventually resolved the problem by assigning a public IP address for the Xbox through the router (placing it outside the DMZ). I then reset the main PC to automatically search for IP addresses rather than have a static IP. After a couple of resets of the computer, Xbox and router everything appears confused. The router has forgotten that I asked it to assign a public IP address to the Xbox and instead the PC is being assigned a public IP address even though the network properties (and the router) confirm that the IP address should be assigned automatically via DHCP. I assumed the address would be 192.168.1.xxx but instead it's a public address. Is there something I've forgotten to do in resetting the PC network connection properties?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

unless you have more than one static IP assigned to you the router needs to have that so NAT and other services will work properly. All other devices on your LAN should either be assigned by DHCP or assigned a static IP on the same subnet as the DHCP but outside the DHCP assigned range. Then you can place the XBOX in the DMZ if needed. Double check the DHCP settings in the router as well to be sure you are using the IP range you think you are for the internal LAN as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users