Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Error 0x800705b4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AnnaJar

AnnaJar

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

I am a novice and this is my first question. I got this message about Windows Defender as the program told me it was turned off and when I tried to turn it on, it stated: error 0x800705b4 this operation is returned because the timeout period has expired.
I'm not sure what version of Vista I have. If someone can tell me how to determine that, I will get back to you.
I have done an online search of this problem and either I can't make sense out of the solutions or they don't work. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials for my virus protection and I also have SuperAntiSpyware, Malewarebytes AntiMalware, CCCleaner which I used to try to fix the problem, and most recently installed Revo Uninstaller.
When I tried to go back to an earlier backup date which I had done with my previous computer in XP, I could not do so. (I also haven't been able to back up this computer in a few weeks even though I have plenty of space but that may be another issue.)
Please help! Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnnaJar

AnnaJar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

I tried to use the Re-installation disk that came with the computer as I found directions on this site to repair using this disk but my disk won't suggest a repair, it will only reinstall the operating system and hopefully, that's not the only solution.
Oh, and I also used the dell disk to do a complete diagnostic. That didn't pinpoint anything that seemed like it was Window's Defender, and it didn't clear the problem.
The Vista is 32-bit but I still didn't find a version number.
Please help if you can.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Right click on My Computer then go to Properties it will tell you which version of Vista you have.

#4 AnnaJar

AnnaJar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

Thank you!
I have Windows Home Premium Vista.
Hopefully, someone will be able to help me solve this issue now.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Try this: Fix for error 0x800705b4. If that doesn't work, then I will research more.

#6 AnnaJar

AnnaJar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Well, I tried all of the things that site suggested and got no where. It finally suggested contacting Microsoft and I did so but then they had me download a diagnostic tool which didn't work because I was first to update Microsoft Internet Explorer (I use Firefox). I tried to update Internet Explorer by clicking the appropriate places and downloading but it said that I already had a more recent version. There was no way to continue as they never gave me a way to proceed without upgrading which I could not do. They have 24 hrs to respond so I will see what happens and let you know.
thank you.

#7 AnnaJar

AnnaJar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

Well, it seems that I found someone else who has the same problem. It would seem that installing Microsoft Security Essentials turns off Microsoft Defender. I got this not from Microsoft, mind you, but from someone else who had this happen and connected the dots. Microsoft replied to my question by having me check their site for others who have the same problem.
I cannot understand why they don't just come out and say that this happens and save people the time and effort of trying to remedy something that can't and perhaps (who knows?) shouldn't be fixed.
Very frustrating, and such a waste of time.
So I just won't try to use Windows Defender.
I can honestly say that I don't think the Microsoft people are all that they are supposed to be. They have made something that is very simple needlessly complex and wasted my time and the time of the kind person who was trying to help me.
Thank you so much cryptodan. I'm surprised that no one else discovered this problem but perhaps all of you are too smart to use Microsoft Security Essentials. I use it because I became so very tired of those daily pop ups from my other security people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users