Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall recomendations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:00 PM

My free trial of Zone Alarm expired yesterday, and I went looking for another free firewall and ran across several, and was hoping that you guys/gals could help me with with some recomendations. These are some of the programs that Iare looked at:

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.x

Outpost Firewall

Free Firewall for Windows

Kerio Personal Firewall

This situation reminds me of the joke about the hunter and his new dog. To show off his new dog a hunter has invited his friend to go rabbit hunting with him, and in the first field he release the dog and the dog takes off and comes back after five minutes with two sticks in her mouth, and his friend laughs and says " it looks like she would rather play than work", and the owner replys "actually thoses two sticks are her way of telling me that there are two rabbits in this field", his friend is not convenced about this, but waits to see what happens, and sure enough they find two rabbits. The next time the dog is turned loose she cames back with one stick, and sure enough they only find one rabbit, and his friend is beginng to be impressed with the dog. In the next field the dog returns with one stick in her mouth shaking it from side to side, and his friends say "well, it certainly looks like she would rather be playing this time", and the owner replys "no, she's just telling me that there are so many rabbits out there than you could shake a stick at".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

Sygate......... :thumbsup:

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

Sygate!!

#4 Farrah

Farrah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:51 PM

Sygate

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:06 PM

As far as windows firewall is concerned, it only alerts to incoming activity.

Others alert to both incoming and outgoing activity. Which would give more protection.
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

Sygate (my choice)

Others, whose opinions that I respect, like Kerio

I've heard good things about the Outpost firewall, but have no experience with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

Id also like to add. That I have used ZoneAlarm for two years.
And loved it.
But... after the latest update 3 weeks ago. I have had nothing but trouble. And may now be considering getting rid of it.

If so, I'm leaning towards Sygate.

Edited by Scarlett, 04 October 2005 - 08:24 PM.

Posted Image

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

See this thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=31962&hl=

Cheers,
John

(happy Sygate user for 2 years)
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

Wow! Thanks all, it looks like I'm heading for sygate. I've never seen a thread asking for an opion this conclusive before, I am impressed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users