Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

proxy server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zf490

zf490

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hello.
I am a newbie. My question is about the proxy server.
1- When you use a proxy to the browser. Do that change the router settings. Or is the only browser.
2- Do use a proxy change IP
3- Do that change the internal IP FOR computer or only change IP that can obtain from a software that detect IP for pc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Hi, zf490. :thumbsup:

I'll do my best to answer your questions, but you can read this for all the boring details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

1. I'm fairly certain you can only have proxy options for a browser, not a router...but I haven't looked at my router's settings in a while, and I don't have access to it right now, so I'm not sure on this one.
2. Yes, using a proxy changes your IP address.
3. I understand the question, but I'm not positive of the answer, as I do not have experience with proxies.

Basically, the premise of a proxy is this: you want to change your IP address for some reason (usually due to restrictions of your country of residence). Using a proxy reroutes your connection to all websites through the proxy server you chose to use. This makes your IP address appear to come from the location of the proxy server instead of your actual location. Think about it like tracing a phone call. If you put up some sort of filter/firewall, you can give the call tracer a false location (I assume this is possible, I don't really know...it just seemed like a good analogy).

A good example is this: I wanted to watch a certain video, but the website would not allow me to because I don't live in Canada (wasn't my location). If I had used a proxy that routed through Canada, I would have been able to watch the video. But I didn't care enough to go to that trouble.

If you want to experiment with proxies, I have no recommendations, as I have never used one myself. Just be careful if you have to install software, sign up on websites, etc...

You can use http://www.ipchicken.com/ to see how your IP address changes when you start messing with stuff.

I hope that answered your questions. :flowers:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users