Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removed important file with hijackthis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 am nuts

am nuts

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Hello All

A while ago I removed a lot of things with hijackthis and I think that since then I can't restart properly - looks like I removed some important windows files - the message I'm getting when starting my computer is diskette drive 0 seek failure press f1 to continue f2 to enter setup - same happens when I try to reboot - I'm not sure what kind of mess I've already made till I got to this forum.
I think I have all the backups in hijackthis but don't want to restore everything so Experts Please help me

I have windows xp

Thanks in advance

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 May 2010 - 03:53 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hello,

What led you to run HiJack This? What issues were you experiencing? Please be as specific as possible.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 am nuts

am nuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

I didn't think this is important to mention, but as much as i remember it was due to the computer being very slow - so I tried to remove to most not important stuff, looks like i made big damage - as i write i think it might have been happening before or after i used hijackthis when i worked in add/remove software

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

We need to create a sequence of events to find out what happened. Did you do anything else besides remove programs from Add/Remove Programs and run HiJack This?

Are you presently able to get into Safe Mode?

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 am nuts

am nuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Safe Mode?

Yes

operating system:

Windows XP

And by the way I'm working on this computer right now - when i press f1 i can enter but can't reboot or removing some programs

Edited by am nuts, 27 May 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Okay, good.

Now, I know you don't want to do this, but you need to restore the HJT backups. All of them. That is the best method of getting your system to boot up properly again in Normal Mode since removing those entries caused the booting problem to begin with. Once we get you booting up properly, we can deal with the other issues.

Once you have restored the backups, let me know if you can bootup properly in Normal mode or not. If you still cannot, there are a couple other things we can try before going to drastic measures.

To restore the backups:

Start HiJack This and Click on Config then Backup

Select all entries, then click on Restore

Close HiJack This

Reboot the computer. Let me know how that works.

Orange Blossom

#7 am nuts

am nuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

oh am NUTS forgot to say thanks :thumbsup: I really appreciate your help.

will let you know how it works

Thanks

#8 am nuts

am nuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Followed instructions and couldn't reboot, I pressed F12 for boot menu but the old error message [dikette failure] appeared

Another thing I forgot to mention before, every time I restart my computer the "System configuration utility" pops up with a message about changes in startup and after I press ok the msconfig comes up

Edited by am nuts, 27 May 2010 - 05:30 PM.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Okay, we're going to try Last Known Good Configuration

To use this saved configuration when booting Windows, press the F8 key as Windows starts, and then select the Last Known Good configuration option. Your computer will then load Windows using these previously saved settings.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...ial58.html#last

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users