Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless network lets one laptop connect but not others

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freddyuk

freddyuk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

First post so thanks for looking

Hard to search for this problem so here goes-
I have a P/C wired up to Netgear router. Running Windows XP. AVG 9 paid for on P/C. Have 3 laptops connected wirelessly and were all working fine.
Lost one laptop due unable to boot up (maybe virus?) so salvaged harddrive and saved files to p/c. Then reloaded OS with CD supplied.
Wireless connected automatically to this laptop and it was online.
The two other laptops in the network lost their connections at that time. Message was connected to router but no connectivity to internet.
I connected with ethernet cable and all worked fine so i put it down to settings. I did reboot router just in case.
Checked settings and ensured they were as per router settings setup and that IP addresses were slightly different between the 3. Two laptops still would not connect to internet.
I loaded Netgear router disc into one laptop to set up automatically and it did not work although it said all ok. The settings seem to change from what is entered.
I have one good laptop so i know the connection is working.I can see the settings in IP CONFIG.
The other two went offline at the same time so should not be a virus and they went off because the other one was on.
I have tried auto settings and manual settings and no joy.
The working laptop seems to block the other two but how come
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Here are my IPCONFIG NUMBERS

P/C LAPTOP 1 LAPTOP2 LAPTOP3

IP 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 169.254.194.106 169.254.132.60
SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0 255.255.0.0 255.255.0.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.1 169254.194.106
DHCP ENABLED ENABLED ENABLED
NET BIOS DEFAULT

Router LAN port IP address = 192.168.0.1
DHCP = On
IP Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

ADSL port IP address = 80.176.155.75
IP Subnet mask = 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP = 194.152.1.58
DNS =158.152.1.58
= 158.152.1.43

Laptop 1 works fine no problem. I changed settings manually in the other laptops to match the working laptop with different IP address
ie. 192.168.0.6 but did't work.
All devices in the same room.
Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by freddyuk, 28 May 2010 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

The laptops 2 and 3 are not getting the proper configuration from DHCP. the 169.254.xxx.xxx is microsoft auto configuration addressess. Double check your wireless security, make sure all passwords, type (i.e. wep, wpa) are the same. open a cmd line and do a ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 freddyuk

freddyuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:58 AM

OK i did that and the message was that the DHCP client has obtained an address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP can obtain a new address?

OK i then decided to change the IP address to a different number ie. 192.168.0.10 on one laptop and this then got a wireless network connection. When i try to connect to Internet i am still offline.??

Edited by freddyuk, 30 May 2010 - 03:30 AM.

#4 nopk

nopk

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

You say you rebooted the router.. just by power cycling or did you clear all settings using the reset switch thats on the back of most routers Ive run into?

You said you changed the IP address to a different number.. if you were configured to use DHCP on all computers then you shouldnt be setting a static IP on any of them?

The 'address that is already in use' error usually happens when someone starts assigning static IP addresses and then doesnt take them out of the DHCP pool..

Were I in your shoes at the moment Id do a hard reset on the router (usually holding in the reset button on the back with a pen tip for 5-10 seconds, then removing power, release button and then power the unit back up..), reset all computers back to default settings (no #'s in any IP config slots, just set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' in your Network connection settings and see what happens..

Did you turn on MAC filtering in the router at any point?

Brett

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

The reason you can't access the internet is because you don't have the proper DNS settings, When doing static IP's you have to enter a static DNS as well. However the best thing to try is to do a ipconfig /release on every computer doing the one we are dealing with here last. Then one by one do a ipconfig /renew and let it complete before moving on to the next one.
Mark Twain

#6 freddyuk

freddyuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

I used the DNS settings which are as per my router settings which i have a copy of. There is an option of two both of which i entered.
Is this incorrect?

I am now going to restart everything as suggested so will report back

Thanks

OK did that and Lap top 1 will reconnect with same settings wirelessly.
The other two if not connected to LAC just give an error message they can't connect.
If i connect with ethernet they are ok but of course remove cable and they go offline. Without ethernet it says i can't do changes as LAC is not connected.

Next i reset the router as suggested. I released all laptops although the wireless settings seem to remain in the cmd menu on the "bad" ones.
When i reboot router the good laptop connects ok but gives windows error message that "there is an IP conflict with another system on the network" ... which is how all this started.

Thanks

Edited by freddyuk, 30 May 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

run this command on each laptop

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Mark Twain

#8 freddyuk

freddyuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Zilch - nothing happens it just gives me the command line again?

#9 freddyuk

freddyuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

Don't worry guys i solved it - i turned off my WEP security and all laptops connected. Reentered the WEP code and they went offline.
So i changed it for a new one; entered in all laptops and they are all online.
If anyone suggested this i missed it but hopefully someone else will benefit from this solution. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users