Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

motherboard/cpu combo or 5770

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

i want to buy the following graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161317

my current specs are
8800gt
m2n32 sli delux
3gb ram
window 7 ultimate 32 bit
amd X2 5400+ dual core

i am wondering if this would be a solid upgrade for the price. my doubts are that my motherboard isnt on the pci e 2.0 interface and the graphics card wouldnt be running to its fullest potential. my other option for upgrading that i could get for about the same price is the following motherboard processor combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...3-696-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-249-_-Product

there was a combo pack with those to pieces a couple weeks ago at frys electronics for 130$. i am either going to buy the above graphics card, or a similar motherboard cpu combo. which would be the better upgrade?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

Remember, if you upgrade your motherboard and CPU, you will also have to upgrade your RAM and reinstall Windows. You will also probably need a 64-bit version of the OS. Whether or not to do such an overhaul depends on what you use your PC for. If you are simply doing general internet tasks, what you've got would be plenty, but gaming would be another story entirely. The Athlon X2 is an older AMD CPU which as been replaced first by the Phenom and then by the Phenom II architecture. Anyway here is some ideas, though you probably will not get this for $130.

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - This is an inexpensive, though highly rated, motherboard. It has all the features of an AM3 platform, such as support for that CPU socket and DDR3, and will suit you well. However, this board is inexpensive because it uses an older AMD 770 chipset. If you're a hardcore gamer who uses Crossfire or SLI, remember, with all AMD chipsets Crossfire, not SLI, is supported, you may want to consider a higher class of motherboard such as the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 or the ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX. The new AMD 8xx series of motherboard chipsets have USB 3 and SATA 6 built-in whereas the 7xx series does not. Other good manufacturers to consider are Gigabyte, XFX, eVGA, and Asus. $59

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz - This is the dual core version of the Phenom II CPU and is superior to what you already have. If you downclocked this CPU to your current CPU's level's, this would still win in terms of performance due to the architecture. A dual core CPU is usually more than enough for most people. If you're a gamer, most games out today cannot take advantage of more than two cores, yet. If you develop content or use software than can use four or more cores, you may want to consider a quad core CPU such as the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz. All Black Edition CPU's from AMD have their multipliers unlocked for easy overclocking. Currently, AMD has Athlon II's out, these are the more mainstream CPU's which lack L3 cache and have a limited amount of L2 cache. These Athlon II's are great if you are running old games or a basic home PC. People who need more performance usually go for the Phenom II line of processors. $99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - The 770 motherboard I suggested requires DDR3-1600 RAM and all other models I listed will take it. If you want to use 4GB or more of RAM, you need a 64-bit OS. Other RAM manufacturers to consider are OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, and Kingston. $109

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Home users should not be using Ultimate unless it was a freebie as it has features they will not use. Anyway, if you are using an OEM version, the license is paired to your motherboard. Therefore, if you change your motherboard, you change PC's thus you need a new licensed copy. However, there is no technical reason you cannot reuse your old copy and go through telephone activation, just make sure that whichever you choose, you use 64-bit. $99

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 May 2010 - 11:46 PM.

3939.png

#3 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:57 AM

wow. those are some very very impressive deals. i am a hardcore gamer. i just mainly want to know if getting that 5770 will make a bigger performance difference gaming wise than a new motherboard and processor. if i do get a motherboard processor, it will be a motherboard very similar to one of the ones u posted and the processor will be a quad core at least 2.8 GHz. operating system isnt a problem for me. i have a corporate edition of windows 7 ultimate that has 64 bit and 32 bit. so i can just install whatever i want
thanks

Edited by soulshard, 30 May 2010 - 01:58 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

The Radeon 5770 is very similar, in most games, to the Radeon 4870. Unlike the Radeon 4xxx series, the 5 series has DirectX 11 and better control over power usage and thermals. You will, if you're a hardcore gamer, want to do all of the upgrades. Before starting, make sure you have at least a 500W power supply, or 600W to 700W if you want to Crossfire, before starting. Anyway, you can take two upgrade paths depending on your budget. Changing your motherboard and CPU now will certainly help, especially if you have games that can really use multiple cores. Getting a new GPU will also help, though, if you use your current system, you may have a bottleneck caused by the older CPU. If you see yourself keeping this PC for three or more years, I would go for the higher-end components, mainly the 890FX motherboard if you can afford it, in the list to maximize the amount of time you have before upgrades.

3939.png

#5 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

okay sounds good. thanks for the help. i think im gona go with the motherboard cpu upgrade and get a graphics card later. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users