Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled PV4VP-MX mobo, now no sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

ASUS PV4VP-MX motherboard, working perfectly
RealTek ALC655 AC'97 audio codec
Windows XP with all service packs and recent updates

I had received a new motherboard/CPU combo and installed it in my box. It was DOA (wouldn't power up), so I pulled it out and put my old mobo back in, the ASUS PV4VP-MX. Didn't change anything at all, but now I have no sound. It was working perfectly before I pulled it.

I've checked and made sure the speakers are getting power, and the jack is plugged into the correct port on the back (the center, lime green one). The onboard audio is enabled in CMOS. There are no alerts or conflicts in Device Manager. I searched this board and nothing similar has been reported. When I pull up the Sound Effects manager, or the Sound Devices in Control Panel, there's no indication of any problems -- it looks like sound is playing, but it's sure not getting out of the speakers...

Any ideas? Did the sound just decide to go toes up at this point in time? Could I have damaged the port riser when I was installing the board (but I don't see how...)?

Edited by wobblerlorri, 27 May 2010 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Did you check the sound volume controls? The sound may be muted, the sound on this system starts that way after drivers are installed.

Louis

#3 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Yes, I've checked all the sound controls. Nothing was installed or uninstalled software-wise, I just pulled the board out long enough to find out the new one wasn't working, then put the old one back in. Literally nothing has changed in the system setup.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

I would try running chkdsk /r on the system partition.

As for Device Manager providing indications of problems...IMO, it's very good at indicating uninstalled drivers, pretty useless at anything else that is hardware/driver-related. I don't rely on what's reflected there (or what's not reflected there), since I find that devices with problems are often reflected properly in Device Manager.

At the minimum, I'd remove the current audio drivers and reinstall them.

Louis

#5 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Just removed the audio drivers, got the latest and greatest off the 'net, and installed them. Rebooted after uninstall and again after install. Still no sound. I must have damaged the riser with the ports when I put the mobo back in.

Oh well, I'll just open it up and install the power leads for the front jacks. And if that doesn't work, I'll just get a cheap sound card. I just use sound for videos and whatnot, it's not a criticalOMGmusthavesoundnaow!!! sort of situation.

Thanks so much!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

I find that it's a good thing...to always have the capability of inserting a PCI NIC, a PCI sound card, a PCI video card, a PCI USB 2.0 (or 3.0 now) card...to test/diagnose when one of those functions has an apparent problem.

PCI slots still are part of every standard motherboard and they can save a lot of time and frustration when attempting to troubleshoot.

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users