Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 2003 CALS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rXg

rXg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hi all,
I have installed windows 2003 server on my company network.All of the softwares came along with original licenses from Microsoft., as you know it has got 5 cal included with the server cd.Can anyone of you guys tell me what is the use of these extra cals ???? do i need to buy more cals cos network having 25 workstations intalled windows xp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

If you have a 5 CAL (Client Access License) version of server and 25 workstations you don't have any extra CAL's you are 20 short. Each computer that accesses the server will use one of the CAL's in one of two ways I will describe below. If more devices than you have CAL's try to access the server the ones without CAL's will be rejected.

CAL's can be used in one of two ways. Keep in mind once they are added to the server in one of the two roles they cannot be changed so choose wisely.

1. Per server - any computer accessing the system will use one of these while connected. Especially good if you have more computer than will be accessing the server in one shift. I.E. you have 25 computers but only 15 of them will be in use at any one given time. This is my orefered choice for most networks.

2. Per device - dedicated to an individual computer only. Each CAL will be assigned to a specific device and no other device can use that CAL even if it is not in use by the device that owns it. This works good in an enviroment where there are multiple servers that need to be accessed since the CAL goes with the computer. Otherwise each server would need enough CAL's to support the access load.

So short answer would be yes you need 20 more CAL's
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 rXg

rXg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:00 AM

I appreciate your help.I seleceted per-device or per-user mode when i was configuring the server in that case is there no way to shift to Per Server mode if i want in the future ?

Edited by rXg, 28 May 2010 - 04:02 AM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Every time you add CAL's you can select if they will be used as per server or per seat. It is only once they are installed they are unchangable.
Mark Twain

#5 rXg

rXg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:35 AM

ok.i got it.what is the best way to tranfer all users and data from workgroup to domain ? is there any windows tool to d it fast rather than manually copying files, i mean all the users in a workgroup and data to domain.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

As far as users go you need to add them to AD using active directory users and computers. There is a way to write a script and then do it in one big batch but for the most part to me it is just as fast either way.

I don't understand what you mean by data. User data stays on the workstation unless you plan on implementing roaming profiles.
Mark Twain

#7 rXg

rXg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

I meant by data when the workgroup was implemented data were saved on the workstations itself.you mean i have to transfer all the data to server after creating users isn't it ? do you think i better make all the user profiles as mandatory
i m sory if i m asking a lot of questions.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

Okay I think I understand what your looking at here. If there are lots of files that need to be accessed by multiple people the n the best thing is to create a shared folder, or folders depending on how you want to organize them, and then move the files into them. You can write scripts to automatically map network drives on the clients. You can use NFTS at a minimum to control access using users.

Is the server a stand alone or is it a DC? If you have not implemented it as a Domain Controller than doing any type of mandatory or roaming profile can't be done. Mandatory profiles are only if you don't want the user to be able to change the appearance of their desktop environment.

If you can make a statement of what you are trying to accomplish as an end goal I can give you a better idea of the things you might want to do.
Mark Twain

#9 rXg

rXg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

The server is domain controller.I don't want much restrictions to be implement for the users.Here's what i did, was making five OU give them rights using NTFS.Now my network in well placed.thanks for your help friend.If i come across any difficulties handling anything regarding my network i l let you know.

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Glad i could help! :thumbsup:
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users