Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you know about Sygate firewall?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

I have been looking into the Sygate Personal Firewall Free Edition. Does anyone have personal experince with the program? Is it stable? Is it effective?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

I have no personal experience with Sygate Personal Firewall even if it is supposed to be the best firewall out there, but I read a while ago that Symantec bought Sygate, so I wouldn't expect it to be around as a free version long, nor remain a good firewall.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

I have been using Sygate for several years, and have found it to be very stable; with many good features, such as logs, backtrace and who-is functionality, it certainly serves the purpose. An added benefit is the ability to manage permissions by application, which saves time when beginning to use it.
According to Shield's Up! when I last tested the firewall, all ports it scanned registered as "stealth mode." Just one thing to note is that Sygate is being purchased, so the status of the free edition may be in question sometime in the future; however, since firewalls do not require constant updating, I do not see this as a significant problem to using it.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 October 2005 - 11:10 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Here is the press release.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

only been using sygate for a few months but so far so good. i cant compare to others though as i havent used anything else, except the one that comes with xp. seems easy enough to understand to and thats a plus to me.

#6 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

Been using sygate for awhile with no problems did try zone alarm once but went back tosygate....... :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

I've been using Sygate for at least a year. I prefer it over Zone Alarm which has given me problems in the past. I have had no issues with the Sygate Personal Edition - ever.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

Thanks to one and all. You have given me what I need. I burned a couple of copies for future use, just in case Symantec turns it into a pig. I had bad experinces with Symantec's Norton products.
I did use ZA when I was using win98 but it was more trouble than it was worth(In my option). I have not tried it with W2k or XP Pro, which I am running now.

Once again thank you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users