Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevent IP changes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcormacks

mcormacks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

Can anyone help? We have a single IP Range across our organisation. - 192.168.1.0 etc
The domain server runs DHCP but we have other servers-
We have various items with fixed IP addresses- the most important are our copier scanners. These keep their IP addresses even though they are not on reserved IP ranges.

Because we scan to PC using these and must describe the particular PCs by IP address we do not want those addresses to keep changing automatically.

So I have in the network adapter properties on the PCs fixed the IP addresses of all the PCs I wish to scan to.

So far so good- except that a couple of days later another PC in the organisation or device gets turned on before the fixed IP computers and steals its IP address thereby creating a conflict.

Short of going to every single device and PC and making its IP address static individually how can I do this at network level. Do I turn off DHCP on the server? Is there any risk associated with that? And why would I want DHCP anyway except when adding a new device?

All help gratefully received

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

You can create reserved addesses in the DHCP server, assuming it is being done in windows, for the computers you want to remain the same.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 nopk

nopk

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

Im far from an expert in corporate level networking.. but Ive done a fair bit of mucking with the scan-to-pc setup in our office on our Kyoceras.. and in our situation the Kyoceras allowed us to enter the network name of the target computer and our dns server would take care of determining what it's IP was.. s this not an option for you?

nopk

#4 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:30 AM

If I were you I would plan out a range of possible addresses that will be reserved for the pc's that need to have static IP address. I would then create on the DHCP server a range of addresses that are either above or below the reserved IP's. The only addresses you really need to set on the DHCP server are the last set in my example below.

Ex. Address range for the devices that need add to keep their IP addresses
192.168.0.10 through 192.168.0.100

Addresses for all the devices that will use DHCP.
192.168.0.150 through 192.168.0.250

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

The difference being if you create IP address reservations for the computers in DHCP the remaining items (default gateway, dns, ect) will still be assigned by DHCP :thumbsup:
Mark Twain

#6 mcormacks

mcormacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

Thank you

As it happens the scanner copier is a Kyocera 2050 but I see nowhere where it allows me to describe the pcs by mac address or name. Where do you do that?

Reserving an IP range makes sense but how do I do that on the Windows server? Presumably once I do it I then go and fix the IP addresses on the individual computers.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

You do not want to create a reserved range in DHCP what you want to do is reserve an IP for each computer.

Here is an article that describes pretty well about DHCP and setting it up. Reserving an IP for a computer is near the end.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ndows_2003.html
Mark Twain

#8 mcormacks

mcormacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Thanks this was really helpful. All fixed

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Glad we could help! :thumbsup:
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users