Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Donate money to the "middle class" ???

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

Ok, so what bothers me about charities is that the money never gets to me.

Rich people can take care of themselves and the very poor are always being helped by charities and donations. But what about the middle class? By middle class, I will refer NOT to suburban white people with 2.5 kids, a medium house, and an SUV in the driveway. I am referring to people who are not downright poor, but who work hard and are living paycheck to paycheck.

People who must say a little prayer each night that the transmission on their car doesn't go, because an unexpected $2,000+ bill would be a major financial disaster.

It sickens me how someone like Conan O'brian can get $40 million for walking away from the tonight show. I can't stop thinking about it. Just $1 million is a ridiculous amount of money if you think about it. It would take someone making six figures a whole decade to make $1 million. And 400 years to make $40 million. I couldn't find any info on what he was gonna do with all that money. But hes not giving it to me, thats for sure (lol).

But something like $5,000 would be a big help for someone like me to get in the mail. It would make a real noticeable difference and be appreciated.

If I ever come into a lot of $$$ (and hopefully one day I will), I will donate a lot of it to unsuspecting regular people earning a honest living so they can have some relief if their boiler explodes or something unexpected happens.

Thats all I have to say. Now its up to BC to discuss. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

My thoughts on this is Middle Class are drowning in debt,because they can get credit easy.

Most people taday live beyond their means.

They are not prepared to save up for that SUV.They want it NOW.

And it has to impress.

Cards are a real curse.IMO.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

I would think that people who live from paycheck to paycheck would be more properly defined as "working class".

I believe Marx defined the middle class as the petite bourgeoisie, but then my knowledge of Marxist theory doesn't amount to much (where do white collar professionals fit in to that description).

Although I have never bothered to plough through Das Kapital, I understand that Marx was very fond of the labour theory of value. However Milton Friedman and the Chicago School totally reject this line of thinking, arguing that value is a subjective matter. As such, Mr O'Brien (and everyone else) is worth whatever the market is willing to pay them.

Cold comfort perhaps...
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

I know people that most would consider "Upper class" that live paycheck to paycheck. That is by no means a way of identifying any socio-economic class.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

I agree with DSTM, too many people want it now, and credit is the easy way to get it. Then when something bad happens the credit card is one of the biggest enemies.

I don't give to Red Cross anymore, since I found out the money for 911 was put back for "future" needs. The money I donated then I wanted to be used to help the victims and or the families. Now I find better places to donate. If I win the lotto, I'd end up giving most of it away also. How much money does a person need? Like Forrest Gump's mom said, after a while it's just for show... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 liamari

liamari

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Credit... is the means to an end... SUV's are the bait... Dept Slavery is the name of the trap/cage.

Some people finesse their way into bigger, nicer, fancier gilded cages.

I've never bought anything on credit... I watched my mom cut them up when I was a kid... I had a feeling she was upset. She never got another one. (She kept the sears card for *emergencies*)

If I don't have the cash to pay for it, I haven't earned it yet. I've never been one to ask for, or to want something I haven't earned. I'd be lying if I said I want a big fancy house, or a pool in the yard... or a yard for that matter. I've been fortunate to be able to meet my own needs, and frequently have some left over to help others. It was first important for me to figure out my needs verses my wants. (They want me to have a new SUV, what I truly need is a new battery and a set of tires.)

We are of the same boat you and I. $5000 would change my life, and not because I need $5000, but because I could help 3 different people that I know of right this minute who are losing sleep because of money. I am losing sleep because they need money. (I personally only need $500 or so.)

So if Daddy Warbucks is listening... Daddy, how much do you really need? And would you be willing to share it with people, good people, honest people, who need it a bit more than you want to let it sit in a bank?

The world distribution of household wealth

"Pioneering Study Shows Richest Two Percent Own Half World Wealth"

All this really is, is a call to arms for the two percent to get off their butts and get the other half of the world's wealth under their great big old belts.

"richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000" (This is before Banker Bailouts and Obama's fiat money)

I wish all the fiat money would have been... updated... a new hip happening Logo instead of the same boring all seeing eye. With lots of pretty colors... Hmmmm. never mind, we wouldn't ever get to see what it looked like anyway. I saw a Thousand Dollar Bill once... at a bank.

Love and Light,
Lia
~A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle.~

#7 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

If you actually have a paycheck that makes ends meet then count yourself lucky :flowers:. look you're on the internet, i know plenty of people who dont have that luxury and they go to the library to use the internet.

On the other hand a modern Robin Hood would be nice :thumbsup:

Take a look at this 40 Billionaires pledge to donate half their wealth
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

I find the notion that the poor are getting a disproportionate amount of charity to be rather offensive. To those who think so: have you ever been poor? I mean truly poor? Poor is where you don't worry about your transmission going out but instead worry about whether or not you are going to eat today (plus you probably don't have a car to begin with.)

#9 trebormuhaha

trebormuhaha

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

there should be a gov funded min wage thats scaled 50% higher if they work in there community to create a better world or are training to do so

employers should then pay the gov that wage when the person is employed and keep the system the same so that the gov still pays the person.

when that person earns in excess of that wage the employer then pays them direct and also pays for medical cover and insurances.

all loans should be factored to account for the min wage unless the person has been able to save X % of there wage for X period of time and that will allow them to borrow more.

inflation should be directly accounted for in the min wage as should deflation as the min wages is for them to be able to live a normal life eg house food and transport.

this would also create a very easy tax system and health system.
Best things since sliced bread

Download UBCD here
UBCD

Trend Micro House Call make sure those nasty little buggers are gone
Click here

#10 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Andrew Said "I find the notion that the poor are getting a disproportionate amount of charity to be rather offensive. To those who think so: have you ever been poor? I mean truly poor? Poor is where you don't worry about your transmission going out but instead worry about whether or not you are going to eat today (plus you probably don't have a car to begin with.)"

The problem is how poor do you have to be to be poor? There are people without a pot to "urinate" in without health insurance who don't qualify for any aid because apparently their minimum wage check from McDonalds disqualifies them. What a joke.

Its like saying you have to be on your death bed to receive medical attention.

Oh, and I never said that the very poor are getting a disproportionate amount. What I'm saying is that people who work 80 hours a week just to keep their lights on get nothing. They could sure use a break. Instead they a stick up their bum. For them its work work work. Get back to work you slugs.

So I have a hard time seeing people raise money for others and knowing that I'll never see any of it and I could sure use some money. I regret using the word "middle class". I myself envision men in fur coats driving SUVs when hear that word. Budapest is right, I meant working class.

When it comes to the very poor, society has got them covered. But I would really like to see some kind of a television show like Extreme Makeover stop by regular people's houses and give them money. Then I could relate to them and be happy for them instead of feeling jealous and disgruntled when I hear about people raising money that I know I'll never see and thinking "I could sure use that money"

Edited by TheEgg, 23 November 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

When it comes to the very poor, society has got them covered.

No. No they don't.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,008 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

For true. If they were, we wouldn't have homeless people sleeping in the streets, people rooting through dumpsters looking for food, etc. If you're on food stamps and single, the food budget at the most is $3/day. How well can you keep within such a food budget? A LOT of people run out of food stamp money long before the month is out. Though it may shock you to realize that there are homeless who do work. Housing costs are ridiculously high. The demand for section 8 housing far exceeds the supply. Average apartment rent in this area is $600/month, and many people make $8/hr or less.

There is a class called the working poor, and these folks have a very difficult time indeed.

If they are fortunate enough to have a roof over their heads, these folks wonder if they'll have enough to buy food for the week, if they can afford to heat their homes that night, if they can pay for the gas to get to work, or the fee for public transportation to get to work. If their furnace breaks down, it breaks down - there's no fixing it. Undergarments, if they have them, are in such condition that many rags look better. Many don't have phones much less computers or other tech. stuff. If you're single and are lucky enough to work full time AND manage to find a less expensive apartment, you can make it if you're extremely careful and don't have a car and if your boss pays all or most of the health insurance premiums. It COSTS more to be poor. Chances are, you doesn't have the means to store food, or not much of it. So, you're stuck buying in small quantities which generally is much more expensive. If you HAVE to have a car, which is the case in rural U.S. and even in many cities and towns, the only ones you can afford to buy are jalopies which are expensive to maintain and expensive to run because they are gas guzzlers.

I remember reading an article about someone working in the public school cafeteria here, supervisory position I believe, one of the better paid. Her paycheck for 2 weeks - 5 cents. That's right, 5 cents. (The article was in the Herald-Times Bloomington Indiana edition. Have to have a subscription to read the article). Everything else had been withheld for health insurance premiums. And guess what, wages withheld for health insurance etc. don't have social security or medicare taxes on them so she doesn't get credit for those wages, which means she's stung later on when it comes to receiving social security. And she was one of the better paid.

Housing should not exceed 25% of one's income - try finding housing that falls in that price range though when you make a mere $7.50 an hour. Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich paints a very clear picture of this problem.

And then there are the destitute who are desperate or perhaps have even given up.

In the words of Simon Ortiz, it's a shame when the poor have to pay for bare survival.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

TheEgg Said: When it comes to the very poor, society has got them covered.

If you truly believe this, then you have never - and I mean never - known anyone who survives on welfare or a minimum wage job, and food stamps.

There is another thread, in General Chat, about Thanksgiving. It asks us to name four things we're grateful for. That thread has received a ridiculously small number of responses. And as I've been reading through this thread, I realized that I have far, far more to be grateful for than the four things I listed. I have a wonderful husband who earns pretty good wages as a master electrician. He loves both me and out children deeply. I do pretty well at my own full time employment. We own our home, and while it's small, it's a nice home, and we're very comfortable here. I have two lovely children, and I don't have to be overly concerned about where their next meal is going to come from.

Meanwhile, there are families who live in their old, battered cars, nearly freezing to death, who have almost literally nothing. Their Thanksgiving meal, if they had one, was served from a line through the good will of a charitable organization. There are people who live in substandard housing, homes or apartments that are falling down around them. Some of these people do sincerely worry about where the next meal might come from, and one of the things that they're the most grateful for is the school lunch program, because at least they know their kids will get one good meal, five days a week.

That two percent of the world population controlling 50% of the world's wealth? Well, take a look at a textbook from a Sociology class. They have a strong, vested interest in making absolutely certain that there is always a "working poor" class. It's a topic I encourage anyone who's interested in this subject to reasearch, specifically under the sociology discipline. Some of the things you learn will make you very, very angry, and very, very sad.

As a side note, how many of you were aware that Bill and Melinda Gates give over half of their annual income to charity every year? I'm not a fan of Mr. Bill or Microsoft, but I have to give him credit for putting his money up to try and do something good.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 November 2010 - 07:15 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#14 AleX

AleX

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

Donating? Yes, but only to poors.

In order to get rich, you have to study a lot and to finish great schools.

When you are educated, you can have a job that brings you nice amount of money.

Just have to work hard and to believe in your-self. If you don't progress, that means that you are doing something wrong.

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

"If you don't progress, that means that you are doing something wrong."

I'm sorry, but I find this somewhat naive. There are a great many people who do not have the opportunity to advance themselves, for a variety of reasons. There are people who are laid off from the jobs, through no fault of their own, who then lose everything, and have to struggle simply to eat, let alone make a decent wage.

Poverty has a lot more causes than simple lack of education.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users