Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Wireless** USB adapter issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hi,
I have an (8) yr old Windows XP OEM Home edition DELL desktop computer that is not wireless.For a couple of years I was able to connect wirelessly using this Older PC, to my home DSL connection.
So, I got a Linksys 2.4 Ghz USB wireless network adapter. Worked great with no problems at all.

One day, I removed that adapter to test another PC I have. I then reconneted it back to the old pc. Ever since then, my problems
began (coincidently probably).

Here is the problem. My icon on the task bar says I am connected. Linksys icon says I am connected. It was configured so Linksys would do the configuration.
But many pages would not load up and I would not be able to access the internet. I rebooted and sometimes it fixed itself. But days later, it would happen again.

I even bought another Linksys newer version USB wireless adapter (thinking the 1st adapter went bad).....But it gave me problems during the CD installation. Then I uninstalled it and just connected the USB like a removable drive and it worked that way. But 24 hours later, I still cant get on the internet So here I am.....

One big problem I also have is that my CD drive is working good. It works 20% of the time. So if I need to get a driver or program, I will have to do it by USB flash memory drive.
I would need to know how to do the copying to the USB flash drive, though.

What are some things that could be going wrong? What can I do to check this out. It will be hard because I can not connect to the internet. But, maybe I will be lucky and it will connect so that I can fix this.
I hope I have included enough info to describe my issue.. thanks in advance

Edited by azyardies, 27 May 2010 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:54 AM

what kind of wireless router do you have

#3 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

My wireless modem is from Qwest, Q1000, by Actiontec.
I think it might be one of the newer ones, because I recently upgraded to the 7mps speed (had the 1.5 mps prior and it used a different Actiontec modem then).
Maybe this has something to do with it to?
thanx

Edited by azyardies, 27 May 2010 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users