Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen freeze w/continuous alert tone immediately after successful boot up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rmcc

rmcc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

running XP on relatively new HP laptop, which froze today while multi-tasking per usual. Screen froze, cursor rolled with hourglass, continued, futile clicking resulted in emitting of low beeping from computer, pretty sure not speakers. Had to pull out battery to reboot, which it did, successfully getting me to desktop. As soon as start-up launched AIM, freeze screen again. Clicking in attempt to close AIM results now in continuous tone emitting. Pull out battery to restart in safe mode, works fine. Run Malwarbytes, AVG scan, chkdsk, all found no problems. No idea where to go from here, but to you....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

While in safe mode...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 rmcc

rmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

thanks for speedy response. have done as directed and all's well. No problems in this configuration. please direct as to where to go from here.

#4 rmcc

rmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

UPDATE: have been working in normal mode since suggested reconfigure this a.m., and achieved screen freeze again, but no constant alert tone. Streaming ITunes radio went into repetitive stutter. Open programs were Outlook, streaming ITunes, and IE. Rebooted in safe mode w/networking, which
seems to be working, though PS will not open any files. One more observation, CNTRL>ALT>DELETE command to get to Task Manager also fails in normal mode, but works in safe mode.And just now, I think I've discovered that IE is hijacked.....

Edited by rmcc, 27 May 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

How about some specs on this "relatively new HP laptop"?

If it freezes when doing anything substantial...I'd start looking at the hardware installed.

Louis

#6 rmcc

rmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

here's a link w/specs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=5296473

I was hoping it was hardware this time, but as mentioned in previous post, I'm seeing my searches hijacked in IE. Now I'm thinking viral. I've just had my first screen freeze in safe mode, but it happened doing one of the same procedures I was doing this a.m. when it crashed the reconfig. normal mode, which was clicking on a web link in an Outlook email...

Edited by rmcc, 27 May 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

I am moving this thread to the Am I Infected forum.

From this point on...please read all admin instructions in that forum and take all suggestions/guidance from authorized BC personnel.

Louis

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

In this case, you should re-enable all services and startups you disabled following my reply #2.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 rmcc

rmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

roger that. I'm good for the next direction....

#10 rmcc

rmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

I guess that direction's off to the local fix-it shop. I'm stumped, and I can understand how my tedious quandry has inspired little enthusiasm here. I'll continue to check in on forum topics for tips!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users