Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage and choppy playback

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cameron25

cameron25

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

I have been trying to watch a video in VLC that is HD. It is an mp4 file. VLC plays it with perfect audio but the video is very choppy and VLC uses ~55% CPU. CPU usage before is 1% and it is only during video play that CPU spikes. VLC can play most of my other movies like ISO files and such but has problems with this one. I tried a few fixes with VLC but that didn't help. I also reinstalled both display drivers Radeon X300 series but none of this did anything. Just last week my computer was experiencing extremely high CPU usage by explorer.exe but that has now gone. And on startup, the Windows start up sounds is VERY distorted but sound works fine any other time. Not sure if either of these problems are related. I also used CCleaner and degragmented. My system is XP btw.

I am a computer noob but can learn quickly. So sorry if I'm unknowledgeable. I was thinking maybe this is some kind of driver problem? Let me know of any other information you need and thanks for any help.

Also, I just tried it with quicktime and it wasn't choppy just really slow video and the video would skip to catch up to the audio. Also used a ton of CPU. So not just a VLC problem.

Edited by cameron25, 26 May 2010 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users