Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista wont check for updates, get error/message.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doingitwell

doingitwell

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

I did do a search prior to this post so I apologize if I've missed a fix. The last thread I could find that is associated with my problem was here; http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...amp;hl=80070002 I went through it all but the posts abruptly ended March 10th without any fixes.

So here's my problem, first I noticed my computer will not update from the Windows site automatically. I'm referring to occasionaly seeing the yellow sign on the taskbar when updates are ready to download or install. So I first checked Windows Security Center and my automatic updating is "on". I then went to the control panel/Windows update and selected to check for updates manually, then I get a message saying "Windows could not search for new updates". The error found and listed in the message is 80070002. I did click on the "get help with this error option" and went through the following procedures as suggested/recommended by MS, which said to start by turning off auto-updating, going to a particular file and clearing it, then turning back on auto-updating and then manually checking for updates. It didn't work I'm sorry to say.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, SP1 (build 6001).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Try running the Update readiness tool and then installing SP2.

#3 doingitwell

doingitwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

I tried what you said Stalker, but after the download I got the message that the download does not apply to my system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users