Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer will not run any programs and I do not know why

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kury

kury

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

My problem, quite simply, is that the computer simply will not run any programs. I've tried firefox, aol instant messenger, windows media player, microsoft word, and internet explorer, among others.

when double clicked, these programs will display on the screen, but they never resolve. For instance, Firefox will display a window on screen, but it will be unable to connect to the internet, instead showing a window saying that the server is taking too long to respond at the website i've selected.

When i double click on a WMP file, the program displays, but it is always "searching for media," and it never plays the program.

When I try to close them so that I can reopen them, then the program will not leave the display. In other words, firefox will not leave my screen; the cursor arrow simply becomes an hourglass.

If I open the task manager to stop firefox (or really any program) through the task manager, nothing happens. the program remains on the screen and the task manager shows that it is still running. If I open the program a second time, then I can at least turn that off by using the task manager, though a second display window for the program (in firefoxes case, a second firefox window) does not appear.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this problem could be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

Did you try system restore?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 kury

kury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

Yes, I did. The message I got was that Windows could not restore because "no significant changes had taken place between the restore date and today's date," or words to that effect.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 kury

kury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

How long should this scan take?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

Yes, I did. The message I got was that Windows could not restore because "no significant changes had taken place between the restore date and today's date," or words to that effect.

Usually the message that is displayed after an unsuccessful attempt to restore that says no changes were made does not mean that no changes had been made prior the restore attempt, it just means that system restore was unsuccessful so no changes were made to your system by that restoration attempt.

Often times it takes trying several different dates before one finds a date that works.

Edited by Stang777, 27 May 2010 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users