Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird IE Error on Vista SP2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlindingLink333

BlindingLink333

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hello again, world. It seems I have another problem for you brilliant minds to solve. I am working on this machine here, and Internet Exploder (curse the name :huh: ) is having a problem working all of a sudden. When you load iexplore.exe. It brings up a page that resembles an about:blank. However, the homepage (and what it attempts to load) is Yahoo.com. Navigation to other pages yields even fewer results. Now it gets weird:

Tools-> Internet Options does not work. However, I can disable UAC (and restart), and see the Options window. To make matters worse, I am able to right-click, Run as Administrator, and everything will work without fail. From this mode, I dl'ed Firefox 3.6, just to troubleshoot, and it works without fail.

Things I have tried:

Cleared Cache/Personal Settings
hard reset IE (Options -> Advanced -> Reset..)
Checked for bad/incompatible add-ons
Attempted no add-ons mode
deleted IE8, and re-installed it.

I read on a related forum that the issue is resolved by disabling the Sophos On-Access Scanner / IE Add-on but it is not on this machine. I also read that it could be related to the Malware/Virus "Vundo".

I ran a very powerful program we call VundoFix that would fix it, But Vundo was not present. I was unable to locate any kind of UAC* variant virus either.

Anyone up for a challenge? I can post logs for Combofix/HJT if necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

If you suspect, your computer is infected, start new topic at "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 BlindingLink333

BlindingLink333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

If you suspect, your computer is infected

That's just it. I don't want to say its an infection, because my scans should have found something by now.

I should also mention that the same symptoms exist in safe mode, but programs requiring updates work fine in the update process.

Another oddity I have now noticed is that the shortcut "Win key + Pause/Break" and similarly, "Windows Pearl (Start) -> right click: My Computer -> Properties" do not load the computer properties menu, but the link from control panel works fine.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista/7), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista/7).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista/7, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista/7 case).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users