Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows security alerts/antispyware soft purchase

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nataliew56241

nataliew56241

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

I have a dell dimension running windows xp, avast. Husband was playing with google earth last night, no issues. This evening I turn on the computer and I get popups saying "windows security alert. apllication cannot be executed. The file (various names each popup) is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now? I've gotten avast to scan. It's found several virus' and it's still chugging away. The popups keep directing me to the antispyware soft website so that I can purchase their software. I can't get add/remove software to work. I can't get avast to update and get a message saying the package is broken. Most programs only run once then I can't run them again.

Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UkrainianChuckNorris

UkrainianChuckNorris

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

yeah, that is a common spyware/trojan that is going around online.
I had it too. Let avast do it's thing. Delete everything avast says to delete, or to quarantine, but first create a system backup.
Then download Spybot S&D, http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/104...spybotsd162.exe
Install it, and run it, but first, click on the buttons to let Spybot update itself. Spybot works wonders.

#3 nataliew56241

nataliew56241
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

I've finished the normal scan and moved everything it found to the chest as recommended. When it still didn't clear up the problems, I changed the settings on avast to thorough scan and it's coming back with even more viruses. I can download spybot but it won't let me install it. I've even tried renaming the spybot file but it still won't run.

Edited by nataliew56241, 26 May 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#4 UkrainianChuckNorris

UkrainianChuckNorris

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

wow, it won't even let you install it... yeah... do you have a secondary computer?
If you do, download spybot on there, then put the file on a flash drive and bring it to the infected computer, and then try to install it. It sounds weird, but it might work.

#5 nataliew56241

nataliew56241
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

That didn't work either. I also renamed it and it's extension. :thumbsup:

#6 UkrainianChuckNorris

UkrainianChuckNorris

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

ohh man. I don't know what else you can do. Has avast or whatever the AV finished scanning the computer??!

OHHHHHHHHH I just remembered something.

Restart your computer in safe mode. Then install Spybot.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

Hello,

Spybot, I'm afraid, isn't very effective in removing infections these days.

There is a removal guide for this infection here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...ntispyware-soft

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 UkrainianChuckNorris

UkrainianChuckNorris

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hello,

Spybot, I'm afraid, isn't very effective in removing infections these days.

There is a removal guide for this infection here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...ntispyware-soft

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

worked great for me, and has for the last 8 people, who brought me their laptops with the same problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users