Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Banned because .......

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Tell us all why you,ve been banned, my starter is this :-

Banned because I openly stated that Global Warming has been going on since the last Ice Age.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

That's odd, but you don't look very banned.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

You might want to clarify your statement to say Banned at another forum. I also doubt many would care to advertise the fact they have been banned anywhere, for whatever reason and bring additional scrutiny upon themselves. Additionally if a member is banned here, they are unable to reply to this thread. Replying with a new account to avoid a ban is a no no as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hi Animal

Replying with a new account to avoid a ban is a no no as well.

I'm sure if I can recognise a new account which has replaced a banned user, others can.
Or do you allow them back on under a new name, after a suitable period of repentance.
Just curious.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,561 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

There isn't a 'one size fits all' answer. Many things are taken into consideration. Banning is not something we take lightly. And there are exceptions and or extenuating circumstances to every rule. Ultimately it comes down to whats best for Bleeping Computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

I dont see why people would want to brag about being banned anyway, I see it as a negative thing. If someone was banned and learned from it, and wishes to share that experience with others so they can learn from it thats one thing, but to get on and say hey look all I was banned ha ha well, even if the ban from the other forum was childish on their parts or was funny or whatever, I still think its rather immature to get on another forum and brag about it, leaves a bad impression as well. I work very hard not to burn bridges, even if I join a forum and later learn I don't like it or the people there, or I see that they will likely ban me for no good reason, I simply do the professional thing and leave before they can-theres no sense staying around knowing theres gonna be trouble if you stay.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:09 AM

There isn't a 'one size fits all' answer. Many things are taken into consideration. Banning is not something we take lightly. And there are exceptions and or extenuating circumstances to every rule. Ultimately it comes down to whats best for Bleeping Computer.

I agree with Animal.

Rarely are people Banned on BC, usually for Spam or serious offenses against the Rules we need to follow and in extreme cases.

Deletion of Account can occur, but it is not considered Banned.

It is really the last warning to a Member, just to let that Member know to shape up or ship out.

I agree with that Policy, it makes the Member start from zero once again under another name.

Banned have no Chance in the world, they are blocked.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 28 May 2010 - 02:16 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

Yeah but you gotta admit. You wonder when you see a regular poster has been banned. Not a trouble maker, but someone you see all the time and then suddenly BAM they are gone. You look back at their posts and of course you don't see anything because it's been removed but STILL it makes you wonder.

As far as being banned being a mark of shame? Give me a break. I was banned from a site once because I replied about some innocuous remark I had made. The sequence went something along the lines of the old gag:

P1: Surely you aren't serious.
Me: I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

P1: I can't believe you used that old gag
Me: Yeah I should be banned for that
Site Owner: Done

And I was banned. This wasn't a small site either. They are one of the largest Vista sites in the world that isn't owned by microsoft. I couldn't believe it. Stupid crap like that happens all the time. Someone "in charge" gets their dander up or gets stoned, or drunk, and that's it. No one ever "wins" an argument with Admin lol.

Drovers Dog? Getting back on a website you have been banned from is not that difficult. WHY someone would want to go back is another question. Like The Patriot09 said, you can usually see if a site is a match for you. If it isn't, why bother unless you want to be a troll?

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:22 AM

DeathStalker,

I completely agree with you.

I own two Forums and Admin two more.

On all four of them we use a similar Policy to BC.

Spamming is automatically Banned and Blocked.

Severe Breech of Rules that could cause instability to the Forum would warrent a Ban and Blocked.

As for the sort of Case you mention, a simple PM would be sent, clarifying the Management Opinion on it, as I am sure happens on BC.

Continual disregard to those PMs when sent would lead to Deletion of the Member's Account, not Banned.

I do admire the way that BC is run, as it shows me that I am on the right track, by being fair to all my own Members and to protect them.

As for a Member coming back, after being Deleted? Management is well aware of the style of Posting of most Members and watch like Hawks to make sure the Member has reformed, on my Forums.

As for a Banned Member sneaking through, they soon give themselves away and are just Banned again, on my Forums.

I can not speak for BC on this, but I think we are very close in attitude.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, BC is without a doubt one of the best moderated forums I have seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users