Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continous Script Error in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TexasRaider

TexasRaider

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Hi, I'm new here and not a real computer genius type guy but know my around well enough.
Here's my problem:

My wife and I share the sam home computer, a Dell 5150 with XP media edition. We had Explorer 7 installed and each had a log in account. I had also installed Microsofts' SP3.
Now a few months ago (just got around to try to fix this) my wife said she coudn't get any YouTube videos to play when she was logged into her account, she had to log into mine.
Then she started describing issues that sounded to me like they were all Java or Flash related. SHe also said she couldn't print emails from some websites.

I logged onto her account and poked around and sure enough, no YouTube. Then when I inadvertantly tried to change her Google Toolbar setting, I got an error box popping up that said "An error has occurred in the script on the page" or words to that effect. THere were no descriptors in the catagories for Line, Char, Error Code or URL. They were all blank. And I had to either click the 'yes' or'no' buttons or the close message 'x' at the top right about 40 times for the box to go away, it seems there were several of them exactly on top of each other.

SO then I start googling around looking for a fix and one site says to try uniblue registry booster to fix it. I install it, but it won't run. The same script error boxes pile up and freeze it. I have to cntr+alt+delete to close that program.

Oh, btw I also had done the usual 'check disable script debugging (explorer') 'check disable script debugging (other)' and unchecked 'display notifications of script errors'.

No dice, still got the multiple script error boxes from hell stack on top of each other.

Then according to microsoft's support site, I unistalled Explorer 7 and SP3 and reverted back to IE6 to see if I still got the same error.

Now, I still can't see any youtube because the site says it won't work with IE6. But when I try to start the uniblue booster, I still get a script error but this time it's different.
Now it says:

Line: 3383
Char: 4
Error: auto server can't create object
Code: 0
URL: http//localhost:10435//

I want to try to reinstall IE7 or even 8, but it looks like my script problem is still there on my wife's account and it probably won't help if I do reinstall 7 or put in 8.

As I said earlier, most everything worked on my side of the computer, I could watch youtube and almost all flash worked. The only flash I couldn't get to work was when I was on Midway games site and tried to play the classic game 'Joust' online. It used to work, but quit a few months ago. I didn't care much, but figure now it probably has something to do with her problem bleeding over.

I've run some spyware like Spybot and SUPERAnti spyware, but they found nothing big enough to cause all this. I even ran a program called IE Fix that was supposed to restore all the factory dll files, claimed it would fix it. Nope, didn't do it.

I would really, really, really appreciate some help here, because it seems all the fixes I google are ones I've already tried.
My guess is we got some virus somewhere and it's corrupted some file that is going to have to be replaced, but that's only a guess and if I did know it was right I'd have no clue where to look anyway.

So, consider this a shrill, bleating plea for help.

Thanks to all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

You probably need the latest version of Flash. Uninstall the old version using the tool at the link and then install the new version at the Adobe website. Then upgrade to IE8. IE6 isn't supported anymore by many sites including Youtube.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#3 TexasRaider

TexasRaider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

You probably need the latest version of Flash. Uninstall the old version using the tool at the link and then install the new version at the Adobe website. Then upgrade to IE8. IE6 isn't supported anymore by many sites including Youtube.

Already did that. Removed it and updated it with latest. Also did latest Java script, but still same problem.
Tried IE 8 but could not get computer to connect to internet.
IE 7 is fine, just need to know why this dang script error won't go away...

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

You're confusing Java with Java Script. Unless you use the Flash removal tool from Adobe's site, it will not uninstall properly and therefore won't install the new version properly. Add/Remove Programs won't work. This happens enough to plenty of users who think they have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash properly but actually haven't that you ought to do it anyway. Don't be stubborn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users