Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network works only in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BBelly10

BBelly10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

YEsterday afternoon i contracted Antivirus soft, which happened to me once about a year ago as well. After following the removal instructions from this bulletin board on it, i could not reaccess the internet unfortunately. I keep getting the "cannot renew IP address" error when i try to repair my wireless connection. tried connecting with an ethernet cable to my router but still no success in getting connected to the network. took it to the geek squad and they confirmed that i don't have any viruses or malware, but seem to now be missing a windows file for the browsing. they were able to connect wirelessly in safe mode, but not with a regular startup. How should i go about fixing this?

I run Windows XP Media Center SP3 on a Dell laptop.

your help is greatly appreciated-

evan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

You might check to see if your malware set up a proxy server on your system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...alware-tutorial, See Error 732 When Trying to Update....

Uuuhh...GeekSquad didn't happen to say exactly which file is supposed to be missing that allows connection from safe mode, but prevents connection from normal mode?

Louis

#3 BBelly10

BBelly10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Louis,

thanks for taking a stab. antivirus soft did originally create a proxy, but i changed it back to automatically detect as mentioned in the link. malwarebytes did seem to do the job in that in removed all the spyware, but i still can't connect.

geeksquad didn't say they knew what was missing, they just assumed something was since i could connect through safe mode and not with a regular start up. there recommendation was to let them repair windows for $130. thus here i am.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

OK, let's try something else :thumbsup:.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt. If the reported date for errors is not in chronological order (most recent at top), then you may want to sort that column to make it so...before saving the file.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

If any drivers are the problem, this should show such.

Two other things you could try next (one or the other):

a. Run the sfc /scannow command

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

b. Do a repair install of XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Either of these will result in a check for missing/damaged Windows system files.

Louis

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

You could try this,

Take note of any static IP's you have. Open command prompt via start -> run -> cmd (may have to run as administrator in vista/7).

Type in "netsh winsock reset" and press enter, followed by "netsh int ip reset C:\reset.log"

Restart your computer and set static IP's again if any.

I had this problem on a windows XP laptop just last week, if that fails, try looking at firewall config/possible virus infections.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#6 BBelly10

BBelly10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

Louis,

I tried the bluescreen program but as it turns out I never had a full blue screen crash with this set of problems - my most recent option is in 2008. So i can't get a recent reading.

I'm getting hold of a Windows CD so that I can try the sfc.exe repair.

Kamakaz - I tried the winsock reset - and have even tried some WinsockFix programs I downloaded, but they don't seem to have changed anything.

Also, I'm afraid I don't know how to reset static IP address. I know I had a dynamic one, but I'm at a bit of a loss here.

thanks-
evan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users