Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Repair -donating services to charity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi!

I own a small computer repair business and thinking of donating a few on site hours to charity.

Our church had a festival with an auction. Folks donated stuff and the money from the auction went to the church.

Do you know of anyone who has donated a service to such a thing? Did it work well as cheap advertising?
:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

I think it is an excellent idea!
Remember that you are in the PR business too. People have to get to know you and trust you.

I have not donated services or time to a church but I do advertize in one of their bulletins.
In the small town where I live, I do a lot of things for my clients for goodwill and PR.

Word of mouth is always the best form of advertizing!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:45 AM

I think it is an excellent idea!

Word of mouth is always the best form of advertizing!

I completely agree, with Eyesee.

I ran Businesses for years and always used word of mouth to expand.

I am Retired, but over many years I have been reclaiming old Computers and Donating them to disadvantaged people, plus fixing machines for them, as a Community Service. I find it so rewarding. Just one look at their faces when they pick up their machine is enough.

Over the years other people, that had found out about it, have donated their old Machines to me, so I have parts to work with. My agreement always has been that I only charge for Parts I have to buy in. I never charge for Labour.

Lately I have been in ill Health and can not do certain things, like mow the Lawns, Clean up outside. The people that I work on their Computers decided to do those Jobs for me. That really made my day.

Go for what you want to do and let people know that you really care for those less fortunate than you.

Magic "Word of Mouth Advertising" anywhere, even in a big City.

BTW, you will get some that just use you, but that happens?

Overall it will be definately positive for you.

Remember, if you are in Business, all those Machines that you may throw away? They could be Tax deductable if you revamp them and give them to Charity? It just depends on your Tax Laws.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 28 May 2010 - 01:52 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

As the others have said, it couldn't hurt you. Quite the opposite. I would think that others would see you doing something for your church and in turn would give you a try before than someone outside the church. I know that I personally try to do business as close to home as possible. When I can, I shop at local retailers over national chains and so on. Keeping the money in the community builds a stronger community.

Are you hiring or taking on any interns subtropical? I know a kid in college (USF I think) in the Tampa Bay area and he was looking for an internship for his CS degree. He's clean cut, well mannered and pretty sharp.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:57 AM

Just an idea for Memorial Day?

Why not approach your local Returned Services League and donate time for them to Raffle off to their Members that are feeling the Pinch?

You get the Benefit of Publicity and maybe Tax Benefits, someone get's sorely needed Help and the League has more Funds to Help out their Members.

Win, Win, Win situation all round.

I think many more will hear about it as well.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 31 May 2010 - 04:40 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users