Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook unveils new privacy controls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted a blog entry today outlining new and easier to use controls for managing your Facebook privacy. These new privacy controls are obviously a response to the outcry of lack of privacy in Facebook since they made their "openness" changes these past few months.Mark Zuckerberg wrote in his blog entry: "When we started Facebook, we built it around a few simple ideas. People want to share and stay connected with their friends and the people around them. When you have control over what you share, you want to share more. When you share more, the world becomes more open and connected. Today, I want to share some thoughts on how we've evolved to this point, what we're doing now to give you more control, and what you can expect from us going forward." Do these changes make you feel more comfortable using Facebook or has the damage already been done? Did you find the previous controls hard to use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Facebook have been eroding these settings for years.

Check the neat interactive chart here to see how these have been interpreted by a blogger, Matt McKeon.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have questions. I don't really use facebook but I registered an account when i was filming a buddies church services so I could upload the vids to his church facebook. I quit doing that right around the time facebook made their first changes requiring more info to be disclosed. I was only back on my account one time after that and exited when they wanted me to give up more info to proceed. I haven't been back since.

Can I go back now without answering all their intrusive questions or do I just need to continue my boycott?

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:29 AM

I quit doing that right around the time facebook made their first changes requiring more info to be disclosed. I was only back on my account one time after that and exited when they wanted me to give up more info to proceed. I haven't been back since.

Can I go back now without answering all their intrusive questions or do I just need to continue my boycott?

I'm not updating my profile again until they put the privacy settings back to where they used to be. There are people from my past who I just don't want to talk to/deal with ever again. Luckily, I found the block settings one day, but there are some who I don't know/remember their last name, who might still try and track me down, and right now, if they are friends of my friends, then they can still search for me...and I can't change it to make it so they can't. When they allow me to do so again, I might come back; I say "might," because I've begun to stop caring about the everyday minutiae of my friend's lives...but that's another issue.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

Untangle Launches Tool to Enhance Facebook Privacy

Untangle, Inc., a network software company, has announced a new free utility to help Facebook® users easily regain control of their privacy, called SaveFace.

Quote above from: http://esbjournal.com/2010/05/untangle-lau...cebook-privacy/

SaveFace
Take back your Facebook Privacy

SaveFace™ by Untangle® is a simple-to-install Bookmark utility that automatically resets your Facebook® settings to restore your privacy.

Quote above from: http://www3.untangle.com/saveface

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

Now I have a good reason for not having a Facebook...besides just not having the time.

If I've made it this long without one, I think I'll survive now, as well. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

You know, you folks aren't the only ones. I, too, am planning on ditching my facebook account as well and I'll make sure to apologize to my friend because she helped me set it up. Bottom line, I almost worship the blogs and advice of the two most respected and trusted AV firms (namely Eset and kaspersky), using Eset as my primary AV, so what they say is a security risk is indeed a security risk in my mind. Feel free to counter if you folks want to. I don't mind explaining my views. So all those who are looking for me on facebook, good luck finding me. you won't!

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users