Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly can't control themes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

I changed my desktop background about 30 minutes ago. I was just trying out all the pictures before settling on the ones I actually wanted, because I couldn't preview them; I could only see the thumbnails.

When I chose the ones I actually wanted and hit "Save changes," it turned out that the changes were not saved after all. I have tried again and again, and it doesn't matter if I go through Personalization > Themes > Desktop Background or if I go straight from Control Panel > Desktop Background. Every time I "save changes," it doesn't save changes.

I had noticed the other day that a couple of my desktop shortcuts had disappeared. From time to time, my themes will change on their own, or my choices will "take over" the personalizations of the other user.

I'm running Sunbelt Vipre and Comodo Firewall using Windows 7 on a Compaq Presario w/ AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processors.

(btw, I just saw something that says Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface cannot start. I've never seen this before. Dunno if it has anything to do with anything.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

There is an apparent issue with "zone alarm" firewall, I'm not sure if also affects Commodo http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=72799 As far as the changing theme I can't help. Sorry

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Run a "Repair" install http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-...ir-install.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the replies & sorry for the late response; my partner can be a serious computer hog!

When my partner tried changing my desktop background, it worked fine. And I just re-added the shortcuts I was missing. But then he started having trouble with Wordpad freezing the whole computer.

I tried Restore to a couple days before, which worked for awhile. Now I've restored it to a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if that fixed it. I just noticed that a shortcut has disappeared again.

The instructions for the Repair Install say to use it only if System Restore and other easier options have not worked. Should I wait to see how troublesome this is, or just go ahead and do it?

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

I would do the Repair Install since system restore isn't getting the job done.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

OK, many thanks!

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

IMHO when more than one person can download or change things on a computer you will spend the rest of your life tiring to figure out what is going on with that computer. One administrator with control of everything only. A computer is like a wallet one person controls what goes in and what comes out. A repair and install will work if no one changes things after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users