Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JordanG123

JordanG123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

I hope I've done the right thing in making a new topic, as I couldn't find a relevant topic to post this in.

Recently, I installed BitDefender Total Security 2010, but it kept playing up, i.e Firefox wouldn't open, neither would Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer, so I uninstalled it. I now have ESET Nod32 Anti-Virus 2010. But now, I have a constant notification in the Security Centre telling me that BitDefender is out of date and needs to be updated. I've done all I can to my knowledge, re-installing and uninstalling BitDefender, reset the Windows Firewall many of times, run multiple virus scans and have run out of solutions. I know I can disable the notifications by clicking on 'I have an anti-virus that I'll monitor myself', but I'd rather have it 100% fixed.

Is there any way I could change this manually by going through the registry and modifying one or two of the keys? If not, is there any other solution?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

From what you describe, the notification you are receiving is from Windows Security Center not the Firewall.

Sometimes after you have uninstalled a firewall, anti-virus or anti-malware program the entry remains in the Security Center index because the uninstaller failed to remove it by design or due to sloppy coding. In such cases, you will need to force the operating system to repair Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). Essentially this forces Windows to redo the inventory of installed security programs and rebuild the Security Center index.

Press the Windows Key + R keys on your keyboard or go to Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: cmd
Click OK or press Enter.
If using Vista, click the Start menu and type cmd into the search box.

At the command prompt (C:\>), type the following bolded text, and press Enter after each line:
net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

Also see How to fix Vista’s Security Center from reporting missing or duplicate programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JordanG123

JordanG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the cock-up in mistaking the Firewall for the Security Centre.

I went through what you told me, something seems to have happened, but now all I'm receiving is 'Anti-Virus software might not be installed'.
Sorry to be a pain! Is there any way for me to fix this?

Thanks.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Sometimes, after performing the fix provided above by quietman7, a computer restart is needed, then give it a few minutes to rebuild the repository.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

If you had a previous anti-virus installed, you need to ensure it has been completely removed. If not, there may be conflicts when attempting to install a new anti-virus to include it not being recognized by the Security Center. In many cases vendors offer clean-up utilities to remove remnants left behind after unintalling.If that does not resolve the issue then refer to:Note: When launching the Security Center, it advises Windows does not detect all anti-virus programs. It is the responsibility of the anti-virus or firewall vendor to design their software so that it will be recognized by the Windows Security Center. The vendor also must submit the information to Microsoft so the Windows operating system catalog can be updated with the software signature addition.

Windows does not detect all antivirus and antispyware software. If you are sure that you have anti-malware software installed, it is turned on, and it is up to date, you can click I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself or I have an antisypware program that I'll monitor myself to stop receiving notifications from Security Center about your anti-malware software. If you do this, Windows will not monitor your anti-malware software status or alert you if it is off.

Using Windows Security Center
How to Disable Antivirus Alerts When Security Center Does Not Detect Installed Anti-virus

Windows Security Center uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). In manual detection mode, Windows Security Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files let Windows Security Center detect the status of independent software. In WMI mode, software manufacturers determine their own product status and report that status back to Windows Security Center through a WMI provider.

Windows Security Center will try to tell you about antivirus or firewall programs installed on your computer. However, if a manufacturer decides not to participate, the Security Center will not be able to detect the manufacturer's programs.

FAQs Windows Security Center <- this link no longer works but the above info was previously posted there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 JordanG123

JordanG123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

After reading through what both of you have told me I've had no choice but to disable anti-virus notifications within the Windows Security Centre. I ran the BitDefender uninstall tool (the one available on their website) to remove any remaining files, uninstalled ESET Nod32, went into %windir%\system32\WBEM and managed to delete the folder 'Repository' with the help of FileUnlocker. I then rebooted my computer and reinstalled ESET Nod32, but it didn't seem to do much.

I suppose I'll just have to do with what I've done for now. I can't be dealing with yet again, having to go through anti-virus programs to see which will be the best to protect my computer. *sigh*

Thanks very much for your help, guys. Will definitely be back here if I have any other problems. :thumbsup:

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

Often times when the Windows Security Center does not correctly reflect the status of AV/FW it is because the WMI is damaged and the repository files located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem need to be deleted and then Windows will rebuild them after a reboot. I believe you also need to shut off WMI in services before deleting those files.

When I did this I was unable to delete the repository file in normal mode or safe mode. My account is an administrator account and I had turned off the services for WMI, but it still would not let me delete the file. I had to boot into safe mode and log in using the admin account that windows created upon install to do this.

When I did this it was because the Windows Security Center was saying I did not have antivirus protection on my system so the problem was a little different than the problem you are having, but it was still a problem with Windows Security Center accurately reflecting the status of the antivirus program so it might be worth a shot for you to try this. It cannot hurt anything and it might solve the problem you have.

Edited by Stang777, 28 May 2010 - 01:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users