Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 running after updating Java

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tsquic

tsquic

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

I downloaded an update to Java the other day (6.0.200 Update 20) and rebooted my computer. I then clicked on my ID and then IE7. It said waiting on Yahoo.com and waited and waited until finally loading the website. It then dragged on until additional info had loaded for the page.

I tested IE7 under my wife's Id and my son's and both work well with no delay. I re-installed IE7 last night but no improvement. I attempted to do a system restore but XPhome would not restore?? It would say unable to restore to restore point. I even tried a few earlier restore points and it would not work??

Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

I would first try to uninstall Java using the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel, reboot, then reinstall java.

#3 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

I removed the Java update in Add/Remove software. Rebooted and no difference :thumbsup:
What to do, What to do????

#4 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

can you post a list of the installed java packages listed in Add/Remove? Are there more RTE versions listed there?

#5 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

Only one occurance of Java appears under Add/Remove software, it is the update I re-installed. However, if you search the C drive for "Java.*" you will see more than one occurance. The Java update I re-installed in is in the System32 folder.

#6 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Well, we're reaching the end of my knowledge with Java. You can test the installation of your update at this link: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Other than that, if Yahoo is the only page you're having trouble with, I'd look at what features from Yahoo you use or don't use that don't match what your wife or son uses, and look through Yahoo's site for other info.

#7 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

The problem I reported woth Yahoo.com occurs with all other web sites. I ran the Java test and java is working properly.

I searched under my ID in documents and settings and found many occurances of java besides the ones in system32 and Adobe. Should I delete all the occurances of Java other than the ones in system32 and Adobe? Could the multiple copies cause problems?

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Since you mentioned Adobe, are you referring to Java or JavaScript? They're not the same thing. A JavaScript error usually indicates that you need to update Flash.

#9 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

What is a javascript error and what woul it affect?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Tried removing the yahoo toolbar?

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

What is a javascript error and what woul it affect?

Let's say for example you're watching a video on Youtube and it gives you a JavaScript error. Many users mistakenly think that JavaScript is related to Java and it isn't. I only bring this up because you mention Adobe and Adobe is not relevant to Java but you will get a JavaScript error when you go to a website running Flash and you don't have the latest version. I think you're confused about what the problem is and it may not be a Java problem. And Dan thinks it might be something else too. Maybe you need to rethink the problem.

#12 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

I have not tried removing the yahoo toolbar. How do I do that? What I am wondering about is why my computer problems affect only my ID and not my wife's or son's.

The only reason I mention Adobe is when I search for any occurance of the string "java" on the "C" drive.

I am getting the little yellow error triangle in the lower left corner of IE7. One error was "Unterminated string constant" another error was "Object doesn't support this property or method". Were these Java Script Errors? BTW, these errors do not occur on every site. But before I had upgraded Java I never saw these errors or had the slow IE7 performance.

At this point, what do you think I should do?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

What Service Pack do you have installed, and is the rest of your windows updated?

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

I have not tried removing the yahoo toolbar. How do I do that? What I am wondering about is why my computer problems affect only my ID and not my wife's or son's.

The only reason I mention Adobe is when I search for any occurance of the string "java" on the "C" drive.

I am getting the little yellow error triangle in the lower left corner of IE7. One error was "Unterminated string constant" another error was "Object doesn't support this property or method". Were these Java Script Errors? BTW, these errors do not occur on every site. But before I had upgraded Java I never saw these errors or had the slow IE7 performance.

At this point, what do you think I should do?

Those are JavaScript errors that may point to browser corruption or compatibility. I don't believe they are Java related. And like Dan said, it could be a problem with the Yahoo toolbar. You should be able to uninstall that from Add/Remove Programs. Maybe reinstall IE7, upgrade to IE8 or try a different browser. I don't think you can assume that Java is causing the problem so you have to try things to figure it out.

#15 tsquic

tsquic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I downloaded a utility called JAVARA that searches for and removes old un-needed versions of JAVA. It did the trick! IE7 seems to run fine now. I will let you know if I see any more script errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users