Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Booting Crash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Imish

Imish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

Firstly, Thanks for even taking the time to read my problem.

I'm running windows XP SP2 and everytime I restart it Freezes at one point. The windows loading bar is still going but it wont run all the way through to the user login. I tired running it in safemode but it stops at the 'Mup.sys' when it gives me the option to press ESC to stop loading 'SPTD.sys'
Something I should say is that recently to shutdown the DEP(because it was driving me like many others crazy) I went into the 'boot.ini' and added to the /noexecute='AlwaysOff'. Before it was /noexecute=optin.
I tired using an XP Recovery Console CD but it didnt read it.
I maintain my computer regular so I doubt it's hardware related, so I was thinking an error? or virus?

Any guidance would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Imish

Imish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

bump
did anyone else get this problem?
is there anything I need to be clearer on?
how should i fix it? (is the only way wiping the main drive using the computer I'm on now and reinstalling everything?)

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

MUP.SYS is rather nasty problem.
Nasty, because there is not sure solution to it.
The best, I can do for you, are two links:
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mup-sys-resolved.html
inside, there another sub-link to:
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/winxpnoboot.html

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 Imish

Imish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

MUP.SYS is rather nasty problem.
Nasty, because there is not sure solution to it.
The best, I can do for you, are two links:
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mup-sys-resolved.html
inside, there another sub-link to:
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/winxpnoboot.html

Thank you

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Try to work on those links and keep us posted on your progress,

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

The/Your problem is not mup.sys - it is what comes after mup.sys that is causing the system to hang. Trouble is, that is sometimes hard to figure out.

It is too bad that sometimes folks spend a long time trying to figure out how to replace mup.sys when that is not the problem at all (I did that once).

I usually find the next thing that wants to load to be the keyboard/mouse driver, usually:

\SystemRoot\System32\Ddrivers\i8042prt.sys

That does not mean that there is a problem with that file - XP just can't process it anymore for some reason.

Sometimes, you have to wait a long time looking at mup.sys in a Safe Mode boot for XP to either figure it out or move on. I would give it a generous amount of minutes before giving up on it.

Describe the mouse, keyboard and any other external USB device environment. Wired, wireless, USB, PS2, printer, etc.

If you have updated any drivers lately, from the F8 Boot Options menu, choose:

Last Known Good Configuration

LKGC is a snapshot of the configuration Windows used/saved on the last successful boot. LKGC is the thing to choose after some driver update keeps your system from booting. Any driver updates lately? If that gets you going, you can undo or fix whatever driver you updated last.

If you think you are getting a BSOD and just can't see it when the system reboots, from the F8 options menu choose:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Then you can see the BSOD and what it is telling you.

My first suspect is a USB mouse and/or driver change and you don't need a mouse to boot and choose Safe Mode since the keyboard is available. Will your system boot in Safe Mode with no mouse?

You can also unplug everything except that keyboard and see what happens - no mouse, no printer, no etc. Just the absolute minimum to see if you can narrow down the culprit.

We can figure out exactly what it is later after getting more information.

Edited by joseibarra, 30 May 2010 - 11:28 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users