Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound, music files will not play. error code 39 on drivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yanmatt

yanmatt

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hello,

After a malware infection, I lost the sound. In device manager I have yellow exclamation points on all drivers with error code 39. Attached here is a pic of my device manager. I have tried to reinstall drivers, with no change to problem

Thanks,
Matt

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

Looks to me as if all your basic Windows sound, video and game controller components are missing...no sound devices installed.

<<I have tried to reinstall drivers, with no change to problem>>

Just what did you do...what error messages did you receive?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 yanmatt

yanmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Louis,

Dell XPS M140 with default sound card, XP home edtion.

I have tried dial a fix, redownloded drivers form dell website, I have tried to update drivers, but get a message saying there is not a newer version available.

I have been getting help on the malware board for the infection, and they sewnt me here for the sound problem.

Thanks,
Matt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I just reviewed your malware thread.

Try the following: Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

After the above...run the chkdsk /r command. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot.

The command will execute and then boot into XP.

Then attempt to install the audio drivers you previously downloaded from the Dell website.

Louis

#5 yanmatt

yanmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

Louis,

I am off to work, so I will have to do this later tonight. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help!
Matt

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

Not sure if this relates...but it seems that you may have installed the XP MUI. This may be a contributor, since it is not designed for installation on XP Home.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688178.aspx

Something is going wrong with your system...installing inappropriate software probably does not help.

If the drivers don't install normally...I would suggest an attempt at a repair install of XP.

Louis

#7 yanmatt

yanmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

Louis,

sound had been working fine, before malware infection. Not sure if the MUI is related, I will look at maybe removing it.

I ran checkdisk and tried to reinstall driver and got this message.

There was a problem with Sigmatel high def audio CODEC

windows could not load the controller for this hardware it is possible that it is damaged or could not be found.

Thanks,
Matt

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

That, to me...would mean it's time to install a PCI sound card...no, I see that this is a laptop.

Have you tried Dell Troubleshooting Webpage?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users