Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is all my hard disk space going?!?!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 twmaffun

twmaffun

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:03 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows XP, and have a 120GB Hard Drive. When I right click on C:/ and go to properties, it tells me that I only have 5 GB of space left. I have searched through all of my folders, and have no clue where all the space is going. I have downloaded JDiskReport and TreeSize to help me diagnose the problem. Interestingly enough, after scanning the entire C:/ drive, the programs only find 35GB worth of files. This would suggest that my hard drive is smaller than it really is, but when I go to My Computer properties, it confirms that my disk space is 120GB.

What is going on!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

Have you run a diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer? If you have run a chkdsk lately and scanned for errors any bad blocks would be removed and the paging file will take some additional space although that should not be that much space unless the drive is dying. HAve you modified or adding anything lately?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Are there other user accounts on your computer? Could one of them have files in their documents that are taking the space?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

You could check for an excessive amount of saved restore points. If you are comfortable that your most recent restore point is satisfactory you can delete all the others to gain space.

See here for a mini tutorial on how to do this: How do I remove all the System Restore points except the recent one?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 twmaffun

twmaffun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

First of all, thanks to all who have responded! The amount of help you all offer to new forum members is amazing.
I completed the following tasks per your suggestions:
1) Ran CHKDSK - the output suggested that 20 or so index entries were deleted as a result
2) Ran DISKMGR => More Options => System Restore Cleanup - this freed up ~12 GB of space

Although these methods freed up space, I still only have 20GB of free space, and when I run JDiskReport and TreeSize, only 35GB of my 120GB hard drive is still currently being detected.

A couple sidenotes: I have a Thinkpad T43, and recently I have noticed while watching movies, if I shake my laptop just a little bit, the movie will freeze for a couple seconds. Could this be an indicating that my HD is going bad? And, would that result in the lost disk space?

Any thoughts?

Edit: To answer the previous questions, I am the only user on my computer, and I haven't installed anything out of the ordinary except for Cygwin in the past month. (I checked the Cygwin folder, and it's only a few hundred MB's)

Edited by twmaffun, 26 May 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#6 twmaffun

twmaffun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

After my last post, I ran a defragmentation. After this finished, my free hard drive space went DOWN from 20GB to 13GB. Why in the world would that happen?

Could this be a coincidence, and the real reason for the loss is that the indexes deleted in Step 1 above were reindexed?

#7 twmaffun

twmaffun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Anyone? :thumbsup:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Try this:

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread the whole thread and I see you already tried jdiskreport.

Edited by Budapest, 27 May 2010 - 12:21 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

What is listed in Disk Management for your hard drives?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

Keep in mind file size and the actual space on disk are two different animals. Many cab files and other compressed type files actually occupy more space on disk than the file size reflects. You can check this by going to a few different files of this type to see what I am talking about.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users