Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIRELESS NETWORK PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 forest_G

forest_G

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

i just set up my home wireless network with 2 computers in my home, a desktop (host) and a laptop (client). Browsing the web works great on both computers but i cant receive emails in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook express 2003on the client. i can send emails in Outlook/Outlook express but can only view them via web mail.

Can someone give me some help as this is driving me insane :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Halo26

Halo26

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:12 AM

Do you have your Outlook/Outlook Express set up with the right incoming and outgoing server settings?

#3 forest_G

forest_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:19 AM

ive got all the right settings for Ourlook/Outlook express given to me by my ISP. I can recieve/send emails on my host computer, just not on my client.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:50 AM

Do you have a third party firewall running?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 forest_G

forest_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:34 AM

i have windows xp firewall running as well as the norton personel firewall 2005. But it doesnt make any difference if i turn them both off, or leave one on. I have tried configuring the firewalls but to no avail.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

I know this is going to sound super simple but. In the out going server settings make sure the prefix is SMTP and not SMPT. I have seen this simple mistake several times. That is provided you ISP uses this format SMTP.YourISP.com.

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:29 AM

do they use (your isp) different mail ports then default (pop-25, smtp-110). turn off your firewll on your router. try removing the router from the equasion, then you will know if it is something in the local machine , or something in the router.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:03 AM

forest_G are you running your laptop thru your desktop? When you ran the Network Wizard did you select "I connect to the internet thru another computer" or did you select " I connect to the internet thru a gateway or LAN"? Rerun the Network wizard and make sure it runs thru your LAN (router) and not thru you desktop. You can run it both ways but the first may interfer with your mail.

#9 forest_G

forest_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:05 AM

im running the internet connection throught the desktop (host). The laptop (client) connects through to the internet through the desktop via wireless peer to peer network. The default pop-25 & smtp-110 ports are correct according to my ISP and are being used appropriatly. Both computers know where the internet connection is, the desktop (host) knows that it is connected directly to the cable modem, and the laptop (client) knows to connect to the internet through a gateway or LAN, ie the desktop (host).

I think ill just redo the connection and start from scratch, re-install drivers, etc . In theory everything should work but its not. Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users