Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have any tips to increase internet speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David S.

David S.

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:21 AM

I'm using Mobidata Edge Modem. My internet connection is very slow. I found some speed increasing software, using them but don't get useful result. Have any solution how can I increase my speed, have any technique?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

the best way to have faster internet that i have found is:

1: use a computer that is cheap to replace. (older is usually the case here)
2: use a wired connection
3: Firefox with add blocker (most adds are images, get ride of them get ride of about 1/2 of the page download)
4: set Firefox to delete all cookies and temp files when closed. (not with addons, just with the normal settings)
5: do not use any software that effects any programs dealing with the internet.
*no anti-virues, firewalls,un-needed addons, web sharing. ~ this is why you want to use a cheap fix computer*

if you do this:
you want to keep any thing you want to keep on removable memory (and backed up).
virus removal software on the computer but not constantly running. (manually scan)
and an operating system disk for the computer to reinstall if needed.

i have an old 98 computer that i use like this... when i use it i never seem to have any problems... but when others use it i always seem to have to scan/reinstall.

-----
BTW i have tried a lot of different speed increasing software but i have not found any that works at all.
also some changes to your network card settings might help.

Edited by Teisei, 26 May 2010 - 06:26 PM.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Unfortunately, not everybody has the "luxury" of a "throw away" computer, Teisei. Also, running without anti-virus or firewall is a bad idea. They should have no noticeable affect on network performance anyway.

David S., what is the rated speed of your internet according to your ISP (internet service provider)?

What browser are you using?

What are your computer specs?

See what kind of numbers you get with http://speedtest.net/

Edited by keyboardNinja, 27 May 2010 - 01:57 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

@ David
also might have some settings you can change in your router... best to make a back up of the current settings if your router has that option before you start to experiment.
*experimenting with settings is probably what you are going to have to do... mostly with the net card... but it depends on the card and the computer... i have different settings with both my wireless cards*

but with your computer info keyboardnija might have some good pro advice.
(looks like he has been doing this longer then me)

- - - - -
@ keyboardnija (with no disrespect... this is just the way i like to set up my computers)

there is not much of a difference but it is noticeable... i only use a firewall on my personal computer.
and even then most the time it is turned off.
and on my alt computer i use avast with other scanning software downloaded on all of the computers also.

pretty much stay away from pix, videos and "click to download this" things and there is no trouble.
i mostly use firefox with addblock... but i have opera set to not show images if i am going to a site that is new or i don't trust.

not the safest idea... but i prefer speed... if there is a problem i can usually fix it with in 30 minutes.
* i figure that the time i save with the extra speed is far more then the 30 minutes it takes to fix a problem that happens 1 time a year if that.*

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

with no disrespect

Of course. I meant no disrespect when I posted either. I was simply giving my advice. Having a "junky", unprotected computer that you aren't worried about messing up is okay, but advising others to be unprotected as well is...well...not a good thing.

Using outdated hardware, software, and having no security just seems like sticking your head in the sand instead of addressing the real problem: slow internet

There sometimes are settings you can optimize, but that is mostly a pipe dream. If you pay for ## MB/s, you won't get any better than that. A slow (aka old) computer doesn't help the matter. If you want faster internet (assuming there isn't a problem with your current configuration), you will have to pay your ISP for a faster speed.

You merely needed to add a disclaimer to your first post. Something to the effect of: "I don't necessarily recommend everyone do the same."

It is quite possible David simply needs to adjust his settings (or change browsers), and there is nothing wrong with the speed of his connection. In any case, giving the recommendation to run unprotected is ill-advised, if you ask me.

It comes back down to the basics I mentioned in my first post: rated speed from ISP, browser, and computer specs. All are contributing factors. If we can narrow down a likely culprit and provide a viable solution, I'm sure David would be very happy. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

right.
although internet doesn't need that good of a computer... it is only a browser... unless he is wanting to watch movies or game on it. ;)

here i get mad at companies for assuming that every one has some kind of access to internet and i am assuming that since he has internet he has highspeed. >.< (my bad)

Edited by Teisei, 28 May 2010 - 11:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users