Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help on computer upgrade (adding HDD)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nopebook

nopebook

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

my computer is running out of space (seagate 40 GB IDE) so I need to upgrade my computer's HDD. my motherboard is Intel D845PESV. here are my questions:

1. if I replace my current HDD with a new one will I lose my data? if I will lose my data then how to avoid losing it?
2. is it possible to add another HDD instead of replacing it so I can have two HDD? will is there any danger to data loss or OS disruption by adding another HDD?

sorry for my boldly novice questions. my knowledge in computer is very limited, I searched on the net but I can not find user-level details regarding this, especially for Q#2. please advice (detail me the process if you don't mind) me on this. your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Reagen.

Edited by nopebook, 25 May 2010 - 11:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

Okay here we go!!!!!!

1. Yes you can replace the HD with a bigger one. Yes all of your data will be stuck on the old drive. By using cloning software, like acronis true image, you can transfer all of your old drive over to the new one.

2. adding a second drive is very simple. There is no danger of losing data on the old drive. however this will not help with the shrinking space on the first drive unless you can transfer some of the files over. Things like music, video, pictures, and documents are easily moved but this will not help if the majority of your problem is program related.

To add a drive you will need to determine the type IDE or SATA, purchase the drive(preferably something in the 500GB range), Physically add it to the computer when it is turned off, start the computer, right click my computer, properties, manage, disk management, right click the new drive (the one that is all greyed out), create a new partition using the whole size of the drive, use the quick format ntfs file system and your done!

Adding the drive is really simple the cables only plug in one way, one data and one power. If it is IDE there are jumpers that need to be set and checked. If it is SATA then you can just plug it in.

I know this is pretty general sounding but I just wanted to give you an idea of the process not write a book. If you are still considering doing this yourself I would be glad to help and we can get specific by picking one option over the other. Personally I would choose the option to replace the original drive and clone the old info on to it. You will end up with more space and a better performing computer from it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 nopebook

nopebook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

wow... thanks for the awesome guide, Baltboy.
what are the steps need to be taken when pursuing cloning? do you install the software in the 1st HD copy the files and then plug the 2nd HD to the motherboard and paste the files and then turn off the computer and unplug 1st HD?

again, thanks for the guide Baltboy. really, really appreciate it.

regards,
Reagen.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

To clone a drive this is usually what must be done. Please keep in mind I need to be a little general here because while most cloning software works pretty much the same there can be minor variances in the order of things. I will be going by the order of Acronis True View because it is what I use. Most of the hard drive manufacturers have a free cloning software most of which is based on True View.

1. You will need to obtain and install the new drive. As far as what you have in your system I would venture to say because of the size that it is an IDE drive you can confirm this by looking in the case. If the HD has a wide flat cable running to it then it is IDE. For IDE you need to check the jumpers which are located on the back of the drive. The original drive in your system must be set to Master and the new drive must be set to slave. Then hook them together on the cable and be sure power is hooked to both.

2. Get your cloning software. more than likely it will be a boot version which means you will install the disk and the computer will start from it instead of your HD. If it is supposed to and it does not you will need to go into your BIOS and change the boot device order placing what ever device is needed first in the chain.

3.Once the software is started it will as you a few things. Usually first it will ask you to select the drive you want to clone which would be your original drive. Second it will ask for a desination drive which will be the new drive. Then it should give you an option to resize the partition. Resize the partition to include the entire new drive. Don't make any exceptions of files to copy or any other options and let the software complete its course. It will take a little while so go eat lunch or do some yard work and come back in an hour or so.

4. Once the software is completed turn off the computer. Remove the old drive and place it somewhere safe so you have a temporary backup. If a new drive is going to fail it will do so in the first month or two most of the time. Set the jumper on the new drive to master and your done!
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users