Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

registry file failure error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caly603

caly603

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

I am trying to assist my son with his laptop. He has a Dell, running windows xp professional. He is getting a registry file failure error and the suggestions found for that error do not work for us. I tried using the last known working configuration but it did not help. Unfortunately, the disk for that version of windows has disapppeared so I can't do anything requiring using the disk. Can I install Windows xp home on his computer or is there another option I haven't considered?
Please let me know if I have not included enough information. I don't know all of the particulars on his laptop, but if you tell me how to get them, I will do my best.
Thanks in advance!!
caly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

He is getting a registry file failure error

What is the exact error and when does it happen?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 caly603

caly603
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

error says:
stop: coooo218 (registry file failure)
registry can't load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\
software or its log or alternate
It is corrupt absent or not writable.
Beginning of physical memory dump.
Memory dump complete (I think I recalled this line correctly, missed writing it down)
contact system administrator or tech support

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

More than likely a repair install is needed here. If you know someone that has a windows XP disk and they will let you borrow it you can use that one. Your windows product key is located on a sticker that is more than likely on the bottom of the laptop.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users