Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home HP recovery..users and data folders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

trying to figuire out what is happening here.

Friend did a system recovery(NOT a system restore) on and older HP XP Home machine with a 30 gig HDD.

i assume he choose the option to save data when he did the recovery...

In using windows explorer , i see users under

C:/documents and settings

Administrator

Administrator.YOUR-27E1513D196

HP-Owner

Hp-Owner.YOUR-27E1513D196

i started to assume the the folders with the "YOUR-27E1513D196" extension are the ones that contain the saved data. but they seem to be the ones currently in use

and though there is no media music and pictures listed in my documents/music with a normal boot if i navigate with windows explorer to one of these other "users" their old music and such is still there.
how do i determine the "in use" folders, can i transfer the data from one to the other then delete the old?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Ask your friend...since he seems to have read the manual/instructions for using the HP recovery/restore disks.

If he cannot explain it, I would try the HP website but I would not expect extensive information.

The best source might be your owner's manual for that system.

Louis

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

unfortunately he did not read the manual, just sheer luck that he choose to save the data.
i already tried the HP forum and and you are right, they just directed me off to how to use the data recover software...not really what i want/need.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

One easy way to tell which profiles are in use is to log on as the admin then go to each profile and add txt file to the desktop of each one. Label each accordingly something like user1, user2, ect. Then when you log on to each profile you will know which one it is. All data can be moved then and the old profiles can be deleted.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

that seems like a reasonable remedy, except the machine only has one user...the admin account HP-Owner the guest account is turned off.
It appears that the "live" user accounts are the ones with the "YOUR-27E1513D196" extension.
So i should be able to move everything from the user accounts that don't have the extension and then delete them.

i don't get the weird extension that is attached to the current user names.( how the extensions got there)

#6 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

It looks like the .YOUR-27E1513D196 extensions are from the computer name/network. These could have been created when the computer was logged into a local area netork or domain. I think Windows creates these when you log in or the computer is joined to the domain.

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

ok. This can get long but I don't have time to give you the complete rundown at the moment so ask questions.

If your friend did the recovery with save data option, then it will create the hp-owner account and that is probably to only admin account you can log into.

The old data should be in those other accounts shown under "documents and settings". Open the "my documents" folder in each one until you see familiar documents. Do the same for my music etc...

The "hp-owner" with no numbers could be where your stuff is if your system was set up with the default install from hp.

If you used tweak-ui or some other program to make your system auto log in, it could have been set to login as administrator, but that is a long shot.

If your friend did a destructive restore first, followed by a non destructive, then you would have the same directories available yet no saved data or files.

Do a search for jpg, doc, mp3 or any file name you remember from the original my documents folder and see what comes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users